No. 24 California eases past George WashingtonNov 14, 2011 - 5:50 AM Berkeley, CA (Sports Network) - Allen Crabbe connected on 5-of-8 from behind the arc en route to a 21-point effort, leading No. 24 California to an 81-54 win over George Washington as part of the CBE Classic.
Justin Cobbs and Jorge Gutierrez contributed 16 and 15 points, respectively, for the Golden Bears (2-0), who used a 21-0 run at the end of the first half to take control.
Tony Taylor paced George Washington (1-0) with 20 points.
The Colonials cruised past Maryland Eastern Shore in their season opener and hung tough with the Bears through the first 14 minutes on Sunday.
But after Tony Taylor made a three-pointer to give the visitors a 19-18 lead with 6:23 on the clock, the Colonials failed to score the rest of the half.
Gutierrez started the game-changing 21-0 run with a jumper, while Cobbs scored eight points during the stretch, including a three-pointer just before the break for a commanding 39-19 cushion.
The difference reached 27 after Harper Kamp made a free throw for a 53-26 cushion with 13 1/2 minutes left, and the Bears coasted from there.
This marked the first meeting between the programs...Nemanja Mikic added 12 points for George Washington, which allowed the Bears to shoot 56 percent from the field...Cal's David Kravish pulled down a game-high nine rebounds as the Bears controlled the glass, 38-22.
- GEORGE WASHINGTON: 54
Nov 13 11:22 PM
- GEORGE WASHINGTON: 19
Nov 13 10:18 PM
- GEORGE WASHINGTON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 13 9:37 PM
- Cal's Ivan Rabb bypasses draft to stay for sophomore season Apr 25
- Cal freshman star Jaylen Brown to declare for NBA draft Apr 21
- Cal's tumultuous week ended by No. 13 seed Hawaii 77-66 Mar 18
- Cal point guard Tyrone Wallace breaks hand in practice Mar 18
- Cal coach Cuonzo Martin declines to discuss school review Mar 17
- California tries to set aside distractions facing Hawaii Mar 17
- Cal to face familiar friend in Hawaii assistant Montgomery Mar 17
- No. 24 California enters Pac-12 tournament on a roll Mar 7
- After undefeated February, Cal seeks Pac-12 title in March Mar 1
- California looks to solve road woes on trip to Washington Feb 16
- Cal senior Tyrone Wallace out 4-6 weeks with broken hand Jan 19
- Cavanaugh scores 18; No. 21 GW beats St Peter's 87 Dec 19