James leads Seminoles past KnightsNov 15, 2011 - 3:00 AM Tallahassee, FL (Sports Network) - Bernard James scored 18 points and grabbed 11 rebounds to lead the 25th-ranked Florida State Seminoles past the UCF Knights, 73-50.
Michael Snaer netted 15 points, while Xavier Gibson and Terrance Shannon chipped in 12 and 10 points, respectively, for the Seminoles (2-0), who shot 61 percent from inside the arc to win going away.
Tristan Spurlock paced the Knights (1-1) with 12 points.
UFC upended Saint Thomas in its season opener and stayed within striking distance of the Seminoles in the first half.
But with the score tied, 10-10, near the midway point, Jeff Peterson scored the first seven points during a 9-2 run to give the hosts some breathing room.
Florida State went into the break with a 29-21 lead and put the game away with a 13-3 spurt. Snaer drained a pair from behind the arc during the run and Peterson capped it with a layup off a turnover for a 51-32 lead with 13 1/2 minutes remaining.
It was a double-digit game the rest of the way.
FSU has won all nine meetings against UCF, though the programs had not met since 1988...Peterson scored nine points on 4-of-5 shooting...The Seminoles shot just 3-of-14 from behind the arc, while UCF made just 6-of-30 from long distance and shot 31 percent overall.
- CENTRAL FLORIDA: 50
FLORIDA STATE: 73
Nov 14 9:02 PM
- CENTRAL FLORIDA: 21
FLORIDA STATE: 29
Nov 14 7:45 PM
- CENTRAL FLORIDA: 0
FLORIDA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 14 7:08 PM
- Florida State guard Rathan-Mayes returning for junior season May 2
- Junior college guard Angola-Rodas to attend Florida State Apr 20
- Mutombo's nephew signs to play basketball at Florida State Apr 13
- Florida State's Rathan-Mayes to enter NBA draft Apr 5
- Florida State's Bacon withdraws from NBA draft consideration Mar 28
- Florida State's Beasley focuses on training for NBA draft Mar 24
- UCF introduces Johnny Dawkins as new men's basketball coach Mar 24
- Florida State's Bacon to submit name for NBA draft Mar 23
- UCF hires Johnny Dawkins as next men's basketball coach Mar 23
- Florida State hope lessons learned will pay off next season Mar 18
- FSU's Beacon and Beasley focused on NIT, not NBA Mar 14
- UCF fires coach Donnie Jones following loss in AAC tourney Mar 11