California routs Austin PeayNov 16, 2011 - 5:35 AM Berkeley, CA (Sports Network) - Jorge Gutierrez scored a team-high 14 points, and the No. 23 California Golden Bears rolled to a 72-55 drubbing of Austin Peay.
Harper Kamp contributed 12 points and nine rebounds, while David Kravish and Brandon Smith netted 12 and 11 points, respectively, for California (3-0), which has won its first three games by a combined 65 points.
Josh Terry had 16 points to pace Austin Peay (0-2), which lost to Middle Tennessee in its season opener last week.
After trading baskets to start the game, the Bears rattled off 15 straight points to take control. Kamp led the stretch with six points, and Allen Crabbe capped it with a three-pointer six minutes in.
Austin Peay shot just 17 percent in the opening 20 minutes and were outscored 16-2 in the final six minutes. Richard Solomon's emphatic two-handed slam just before the buzzer culminated a dominant first half with Cal leading 40-13.
The Governors shot significantly better in the second half at 55 percent, but the margin was too much to overcome.
This was the first-ever meeting between the programs...Melvin Baker and Herdie Lawrence scored 12 and 10 points, respectively, for the Governors, who wound up shooting 37 percent overall...Austin Peay's TyShwan Edmondson, a first-team All-Ohio Valley Conference pick last year, shot just 2-for-10 from the field for four points...Solomon totaled eight points and nine boards.
- AUSTIN PEAY: 55
Nov 15 11:59 PM
- AUSTIN PEAY: 13
Nov 15 10:53 PM
- AUSTIN PEAY: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 15 10:05 PM
- Cal's Ivan Rabb bypasses draft to stay for sophomore season Apr 25
- Cal freshman star Jaylen Brown to declare for NBA draft Apr 21
- Coach Dave Loos returning as Austin Peay coach Apr 5
- Cal's tumultuous week ended by No. 13 seed Hawaii 77-66 Mar 18
- Cal point guard Tyrone Wallace breaks hand in practice Mar 18
- Cal coach Cuonzo Martin declines to discuss school review Mar 17
- California tries to set aside distractions facing Hawaii Mar 17
- Cal to face familiar friend in Hawaii assistant Montgomery Mar 17
- Top-seeded Kansas opens tournament play vs. Austin Peay Mar 16
- No. 24 California enters Pac-12 tournament on a roll Mar 7
- After undefeated February, Cal seeks Pac-12 title in March Mar 1
- California looks to solve road woes on trip to Washington Feb 16