No. 13 Xavier downs Miami-OhioNov 19, 2011 - 3:20 AM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Mark Lyons had 18 points, Kenny Frease scored 13 with seven rebounds and the 13th-ranked Xavier Musketeers beat the Miami-Ohio RedHawks, 66-60, on Friday night.
Tu Holloway posted nine points and a game-high seven assists for Xavier (3-0), which also got nine points -- along with six boards -- from Travis Taylor.
"Our turnovers we kept down to a minimum. That was a big part of the game," said Xavier head coach Chris Mack. "I thought our guards did a much better job the last six or eight minutes in making decisions."
Bill Edwards finished with game-highs of 21 points and eight rebounds for the RedHawks (1-1), who led 34-32 at halftime.
Xavier opened the second half on a 9-2 run and led 41-36 after Taylor sank a layup. But Miami-Ohio responded with the next eight points before Xavier's Dee Davis nailed a three-pointer to tie the game at 44.
Later in the frame, the Musketeers built a nine-point lead with 2:39 remaining after Holloway's jumper made it 60-51. Miami-Ohio closed to within three at 63-60, but Lyons and Holloway combined to go 3-of-4 at the foul line in the final minute to seal the win.
"I know we didn't play as well as we'd like," said Miami-Ohio head coach Charlie Coles. "We fought as hard as we could, though. I wish we could've been a little bit better with the ball."
Xavier scored 24 points off 18 Miami-Ohio turnovers...The Musketeers extended their home winning streak to 11 games...Julian Mavunga had 17 points and seven boards in defeat.
- MIAMI (OHIO): 60
Nov 18 9:11 PM
- MIAMI (OHIO): 34
Nov 18 7:49 PM
- MIAMI (OHIO): 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 18 7:08 PM
- No NBA: Trevon Bluiett staying at Xavier for junior season May 23
- Xavier gives coach Chris Mack an additional year on contract Apr 14
- Badgers, Musketeers preparing for physical NCAA clash Mar 19
- Xavier pulls away from Weber State late for 71-53 win Mar 18
- Xavier opens tourney vs Weber St, hoping for deep run Mar 17
- No. 5 Xavier looking to fix defense at Big East tournament Mar 7
- No. 5 Xavier in running for high NCAA tournament seed Feb 25
- Big East's top 2 teams set for high-stakes rematch at Xavier Feb 23
- Xavier's Sumner 'walking, talking' after hard fall at game Dec 31
- Xavier's Chris Mack gets 1-year extension Apr 1
- Arizona pulls away from Xavier to set up Elite Eight rematch Mar 27
- Arizona and Xavier collide in Sweet 16 Mar 26