California beats Georgia to advance to CBE Classic title gameNov 22, 2011 - 6:08 AM Kansas City, MO (Sports Network) - Harper Kamp netted 16 points on 6-of-6 shooting, leading the 20th-ranked California Golden Bears over Georgia, 70-46, in a lopsided CBE Classic semifinal.
Jorge Gutierrez chipped in 14 points and seven rebounds, while Justin Cobbs added 10 points for California (4-0), which will square off against Missouri in Tuesday's championship.
The Bulldogs (3-1), who were led by Kentavious Caldwell-Pope's 10 points, were actually winning, 25-22, following a seven-point run late in the first half, but went scoreless in the final five minutes before the break.
Cal's subsequent 14-0 run was highlighted by Kamp's three-point play, and Cobbs' bucket in the closing seconds resulted in a 36-25 cushion.
Donte Williams threw down a dunk to end Georgia's drought 1 1/2 minutes into the second half, then hit a jumper the next time down.
But again the Bulldogs hit a dry spell that lasted over seven minutes, leading to another 14-point flurry. Gutierrez's layup capped the surge for a 53-29 advantage with 11 1/2 minutes on the clock, and the Bears cruised from there.
Cal shot 50 percent from the field and held Georgia to 33-percent shooting...Allen Crabbe, who came in averaging a team-high 16.7 points, donated nine points and six rebounds for the Bears, who won the rebounding battle, 36-31.
- CALIFORNIA: 70
Nov 21 11:47 PM
- CALIFORNIA: 36
Nov 21 10:42 PM
- CALIFORNIA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 21 9:58 PM
- Georgia's Juwan Parker granted medical redshirt May 23
- Cal's Ivan Rabb bypasses draft to stay for sophomore season Apr 25
- Cal freshman star Jaylen Brown to declare for NBA draft Apr 21
- Georgia signs forward Diatta as transfer from Southern Idaho Apr 20
- McGarity believes Georgia program still growing with Fox Mar 30
- Cal's tumultuous week ended by No. 13 seed Hawaii 77-66 Mar 18
- Cal point guard Tyrone Wallace breaks hand in practice Mar 18
- Cal coach Cuonzo Martin declines to discuss school review Mar 17
- California tries to set aside distractions facing Hawaii Mar 17
- Cal to face familiar friend in Hawaii assistant Montgomery Mar 17
- No. 24 California enters Pac-12 tournament on a roll Mar 7
- J.J. Frazier keeps believing, keeps shooting for Georgia Mar 4