No. 22 Florida State handles UMassNov 25, 2011 - 7:40 AM Paradise Island, Bahamas (Sports Network) - Michael Snaer posted 18 points and 10 rebounds to power the 22nd-ranked Florida State Seminoles to a 73-53 win over the Massachusetts Minutemen in the opening round of the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament.
Luke Loucks had 12 points and four steals for Florida State (5-0), which got 11 points and 11 rebounds from Okaro White.
The Seminoles will play Harvard in the semifinals on Friday.
Raphiael Putney and Maxie Esho scored 11 and 10 points for the Minutemen (4-1), who shot just 28 percent from the floor. Florida State fared slightly better, shooting 35 percent for the game.
"They are the number one defensive team in the country and they showed at times tonight why they have those accolades," UMass head coach Derek Kellogg said about Florida State.
Florida State opened the game on a 7-0 run, but fell behind when Putney made two free throws to give UMass its only lead of the game at 21-20 with 5:09 left in the opening frame.
The Seminoles closed out the half on a 16-4 burst to carry a 36-25 advantage into the break.
UMass trailed by at least 10 throughout the entire second half.
Bernard Jones finished with nine points, seven rebounds and five blocks for Florida State...Both teams committed 23 turnovers...The Seminoles and Minutemen have split six all-time meetings.
- FLORIDA STATE: 73
Nov 24 6:47 PM
- FLORIDA STATE: 36
Nov 24 5:30 PM
- FLORIDA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 24 4:35 PM
- Florida State guard Rathan-Mayes returning for junior season May 2
- Junior college guard Angola-Rodas to attend Florida State Apr 20
- Mutombo's nephew signs to play basketball at Florida State Apr 13
- Florida State's Rathan-Mayes to enter NBA draft Apr 5
- Florida State's Bacon withdraws from NBA draft consideration Mar 28
- Florida State's Beasley focuses on training for NBA draft Mar 24
- Florida State's Bacon to submit name for NBA draft Mar 23
- Florida State hope lessons learned will pay off next season Mar 18
- FSU's Beacon and Beasley focused on NIT, not NBA Mar 14
- Florida State senior Devon Bookert emerges as team leader Mar 4
- Hamilton, Florida State looks to snap 5-game losing streak Feb 26
- Leonard Hamilton gets 2-year extension at Florida State Feb 24