Rebels down UCSB in double overtimeDec 1, 2011 - 6:06 AM Santa Barbara, CA (Sports Network) - Chace Stanback caused a second overtime with a late three-pointer and added a three-point play early in the added session to help the 18th-ranked UNLV Rebels down UC Santa Barbara, 94-88.
UNLV, fresh off upsetting then-No.1 North Carolina on Saturday, led by 10 with two minutes remaining in regulation, but the Gauchos clawed back and tied it when Greg Somogyi put back Orlando Johnson's purposefully missed free throw just before the buzzer.
UCSB was close to pulling out the win after James Nunnally made three free throws with 13.8 seconds left in OT, but Stanback improbably drained a three to extend the game even further.
The Rebels (8-0) held the Gauchos to one field goal in the final five minutes to come away with the win. Mike Moser finished with 34 points and 10 rebounds before fouling out, while Stanback chipped in 19 points for the victors.
Johnson poured in 36 points and pulled down 10 boards for UCSB (4-2), which lost to San Diego State in overtime last Saturday.
Neither team shot particularly well in the first half. UNLV went 2-for-13 from long range, while the Gauchos took a 28-27 edge at the break despite shooting only 31 percent from the field.
Moser scored 11 points in the first 3 1/2 minutes of the second half, with his three-pointer yielding a 38-34 lead. After UCSB went in front near the midway point, Moser made two from behind the arc for a 51-47 advantage.
The outcome appeared decided when Moser bookended a 10-2 run with a pair from behind the arc, pushing it to a 69-59 cushion with two minutes left.
But Johnson carried the hosts back within one by scoring the final seven points of a 9-0 run. Stanback made two free throws with seven seconds showing, and Johnson was fouled immediately with two seconds on the clock. After making the first, Johnson threw a line drive at the back of the rim, and Somogyi was there for the putback.
This was UNLV's first road test...Moser shot 6-for-9 from behind the arc...Anthony Marshall donated 13 points and eight assists for the Rebels...Nunnally totaled 14 points and eight boards.
- UNLV: 94
UC SANTA BARBARA: 88
Final - 2OT
Dec 1 12:31 AM
- UNLV: 84
UC SANTA BARBARA: 84
End of OT
Dec 1 12:12 AM
- UNLV: 71
UC SANTA BARBARA: 71
End of Regulation
Nov 30 11:57 PM
- UNLV: 27
UC SANTA BARBARA: 28
Nov 30 10:46 PM
- UNLV: 0
UC SANTA BARBARA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 30 10:06 PM
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- UNLV hires Little Rock's Chris Beard as next coach Mar 28
- UNLV freshman Jones Jr. ineligible for rest of the season Mar 2
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee Feb 8
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team Feb 5
- UNLV gets back to business with interim coach Jan 11
- Rice resigns as UNLV's coach in middle of fifth season Jan 10
- Okonoboh asks for release from UNLV Nov 27