Harris, Gonzaga take care of Notre DameDec 1, 2011 - 7:31 AM
Robert Sacre and David Stockton each had 15 points for the Bulldogs (5-0), who play Illinois and Michigan State in the next week and a half. Kevin Pangos netted 12 points.
"I loved our approach tonight," Gonzaga head coach Mark Few said. "I thought we played great defense and we really did a nice job being disruptive and never letting them get comfortable on offense because they are a dangerous team when they are comfortable. When they can get their feet set, they can really, really shoot the ball."
Jerian Grant scored 16 points to lead the Fighting Irish (5-3), who have lost three of four.
Gonzaga held the Irish to one field goal in the first 6 1/2 minutes, building a 12-3 lead that ballooned to 25-8 after Pangos made consecutive layups with eight minutes left in the opening half.
The Bulldogs took a 35-22 advantage into the locker room, and held a comfortable margin throughout the final 20 minutes.
Back-to-back buckets by Tom Knight pulled Notre Dame within 43-34 five minutes in, but Harris converted a three-point play and Pangos drained a three-pointer on the next two possessions to make it a 15-point game.
The Bulldogs cruised from there.
"They really defended us and we could never get comfortable," Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey said. "I was disappointed that we got flustered on the road and a lot of that was Gonzaga's defense. For us to have 13 turnovers in the first half you are just digging out of a hole. Defensively we were pretty good, especially on their front line but their defense made us very uncomfortable and we hurried things."
The Fighting Irish edged the Bulldogs last season in the first-ever meeting between the teams...Notre Dame shot 2-for-14 from three-point range...Gonzaga won the rebounding battle, 40-32.
- Beachem says he'll be back at Notre Dame for senior season May 1
- Notre Dame's Beachem enters NBA draft, won't hire an agent Apr 12
- Gonzaga's Domantas Sabonis declares for NBA draft Apr 7
- Timeline: NCAA calls Zags coach to admit officiating error Apr 1
- Jackson: Meeting with Brey, NCAA play led him to opt for NBA Mar 30
- Notre Dame's Jackson decides to enter NBA draft Mar 29
- Brey: Notre Dame's Jackson has to explore entering NBA draft Mar 28
- Notre Dame can't find one last run to beat North Carolina Mar 28
- North Carolina and Notre Dame know each other well Mar 26
- Gonzaga loses 63-60 to Syracuse in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Gonzaga taking on Syracuse's vaunted zone in Sweet 16 Mar 25
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25