Ragland makes 8 three-pointers, Wichita State takes down No. 18 UNLVDec 5, 2011 - 2:49 AM Wichita, KS (Sports Network) - Joe Ragland hit eight three-pointers and finished with 31 points, leading Wichita State to an 89-70 rout of No. 18 UNLV in a Mountain West/Missouri Valley Challenge contest.
Carl Hall netted 17 points for the Shockers (5-2), who shot 59 percent and won their third consecutive game. Garrett Stutz finished with 13 points, while Toure' Murry added 11 points and eight assists.
"It was great to play that well in that big of a game," said Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall. "We finally played the way we can play because they are a great basketball team. I knew that [UNLV] had tremendous talent, but our resolve was not to be denied."
Chace Stanback had 16 points to lead the Rebels (8-1), who had given up at least 80 points in their previous two games, but won both -- including a 90-80 victory against then-No. 1 North Carolina.
The game was close early on, but Wichita State took control with a 12-1 run. Ragland connected on a three to start the burst, Hall sank consecutive buckets in the middle of it, and Ben Smith ended it with a three-point play.
The rally gave the Shockers a 30-19 lead with seven minutes left in the first half.
Wichita State led by as many as 17 in the opening 20 minutes and carried a 47-32 advantage into the break. The Shockers 61 percent of their shots in the first half -- including a 5-for-5 performance by Ragland from beyond the arc.
UNLV never got back in the game, and trailed by double digits the rest of the way.
Mike Moser scored 12 points for UNLV, while Brice Massamba had 11 and Justin Hawkins 10...The Rebels shot 47 percent and made only 5-of-20 shots from behind the three-point line.
- UNLV: 70
WICHITA STATE: 89
Dec 4 6:10 PM
- UNLV: 32
WICHITA STATE: 47
Dec 4 5:01 PM
- UNLV: 0
WICHITA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 4 4:10 PM
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- UNLV hires Little Rock's Chris Beard as next coach Mar 28
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- UNLV freshman Jones Jr. ineligible for rest of the season Mar 2
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee Feb 8
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team Feb 5