SDSU upsets No. 24 CaliforniaDec 5, 2011 - 5:12 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Chase Tapley had 25 points, five rebounds and three steals, as the San Diego State Aztecs snuck past the 24th-ranked California Golden Bears, 64-63.
Xavier Thames, James Rahon and Jamaal Franklin each added nine points for the Aztecs (8-2), who extended their December winning streak to 13 games.
Allen Crabbe ended with 23 points and nine boards for the Golden Bears (6-2), who played their first true road game of the season Sunday. Justin Cobbs donated 17 points and five assists.
"We made mistakes that ended up costing us," Cal head coach Mike Montgomery said. "We have to learn from this. We have to figure out what little things we have to do."
Harper Kamp's layup got California within two, 58-56, with 1:45 to play.
Franklin came down with a big offensive rebound at the other end and made two free throws to make it a 60-56 game with 1:06 remaining.
Crabbe came up big with a tip-in to get Cal within two again.
After Franklin made two more free throws to make it a four-point game, Cobbs made an easy layup.
Only 8.6 seconds remained on the clock following a pair of Tapley foul shots. Time ran out on Cal after Crabbe made a three-pointer.
San Diego State ended a tight first half on a strong note, scoring the frame's final eight points for a 33-25 edge.
Down 38-32 with 16:18 to play, the Golden Bears ripped off six straight points to tie the game.
It remained a tight contest the rest of the way.
San Diego State leads the all-time series, 5-4...The Aztecs have won eight straight games against the Pac-12 Conference...San Diego State extended its December home winning streak to 22 games.
- CALIFORNIA: 63
SAN DIEGO STATE: 64
Dec 4 7:08 PM
- CALIFORNIA: 25
SAN DIEGO STATE: 33
Dec 4 5:54 PM
- CALIFORNIA: 0
SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 4 5:08 PM
- Cal's Ivan Rabb bypasses draft to stay for sophomore season Apr 25
- Cal freshman star Jaylen Brown to declare for NBA draft Apr 21
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Cal's tumultuous week ended by No. 13 seed Hawaii 77-66 Mar 18
- Cal point guard Tyrone Wallace breaks hand in practice Mar 18
- Cal coach Cuonzo Martin declines to discuss school review Mar 17
- California tries to set aside distractions facing Hawaii Mar 17
- Cal to face familiar friend in Hawaii assistant Montgomery Mar 17
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- No. 24 California enters Pac-12 tournament on a roll Mar 7
- After undefeated February, Cal seeks Pac-12 title in March Mar 1
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21