No. 18 Georgetown downs HowardDec 10, 2011 - 10:49 PM
Jason Clark and Hollis Thompson, the reigning Big East player of the week, scored 12 points apiece for the Hoyas (8-1), who squandered the majority of a seemingly comfortable lead.
Mike Phillips had 14 points to pace Howard (3-6), which got 11 points from Dadrian Collins.
Georgetown scored 17 straight points to open the game and the Bison didn't get on the board until Collins hit a three-pointer with 10-plus minutes remaining in the first half. A layup by Jabril Trawick put the Hoyas up 23-5.
Despite the drought, Howard managed to shave five points off its deficit by halftime (30-17) and continued to chip away after the break.
"It would be easy to stand here and come up with a bunch of excuses to (how we let them come back), but I don't want to take away from what they did," said Georgetown coach John Thompson III. "They outplayed us today."
The Bison closed to within two points four times, the last with 7:33 to play when Phillips' jumper made it 42-40.
"It's been that way all year for us," Howard coach Kevin Nickelberry said of his team's rally. "I mean, we've been able to compete every game."
Four Hollis Thompson free throws sandwiched around Porter's steal and breakaway slam increased Georgetown's lead to 48-40. Another Porter dunk restored a double-digit cushion for the Hoyas at 55-44 with 2:49 remaining.
Both teams shot 33 percent...Georgetown was 1-of-13 from three-point range...The Hoyas made 29 free throws, compared to 14 for Howard...Georgetown has won all seven meetings...Georgetown freshman forward Tyler Adams will be out indefinitely because of concerns about the health of his heart. He has averaged 2.5 points and 2.3 rebounds in four games this season.
- HOWARD: 48
Dec 10 2:11 PM
- HOWARD: 17
Dec 10 12:52 PM
- HOWARD: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 10 12:05 PM
- Georgetown already has 5 losses entering Big East play Dec 30
- Georgetown Capsule Nov 4
- With Smith-Rivera back, Georgetown eyes better NCAA showing Nov 4
- Georgetown G Smith-Rivera to enter NBA Draft Mar 31
- Utah tops Georgetown, makes 1st Sweet 16 in 10 years Mar 21
- Utes and Hoyas meet in third round of NCAA Tournament Mar 21
- Georgetown topples Eastern Washington to advance Mar 20
- Hoyas set sights on Eagles in South Regional action Mar 19
- Xavier holds off Georgetown to reach Big East finals Mar 14
- Xavier and Georgetown do battle in Big East tourney Mar 13
- Georgetown fends off Creighton in Big East quarters Mar 13
- Big East tourney action pits Bluejays against Hoyas Mar 12