No. 20 Michigan uses strong second half to down BradleyDec 23, 2011 - 2:14 AM Ann Arbor, MI (Sports Network) - Evan Smotrycz scored a game-high 20 points and grabbed 10 rebounds to lead No. 20 Michigan to a 77-66 win over Bradley.
Trey Burke added 12 points and eight assists while Jordan Morgan scored 15 and snatched seven rebounds for the Wolverines (10-2), winners of five straight.
Taylor Brown had 17 points and Walt Lemon scored 16 for the Braves (5-7), who dropped their third straight.
Bradley was able to keep pace with Michigan in the first half, entering the break tied at 33-33. Michigan shot just 35.3 percent from the field in the first half. Bradley was led by freshman Shayok Shayok, who scored eight of his season-high 10 points in the first half.
But the balanced Michigan attack, which shot 55.9 percent from the field in the second half, proved to be too much. The Wolverines went on a 23-9 run, stemming from a three pointer from Smotrycz to break a 45-45 deadlock. Michigan never looked back, and took a commanding 71-56 lead.
Bradley look poised to make one last push but Michigan stiffeled the Braves, crushing any hopes of a comeback. With just over six minutes left Brown drove to the hoop, hit a layup and was fouled. After sinking the free throw, Bradley scored four more points before Jake Eastman made a three-pointer to cut the lead to nine with a little over two minutes left.
But Michigan was able to keep the Braves scoreless over the final two minutes of the game to secure a victory.
The Wolverines had 25 assists to Bradley's seven...Michigan's Stu Douglass played in his 114th straight game...The Wolverines moved to 6-1 all-time in the series...Bradley head coach Geno Ford coached his 200th career game.
- BRADLEY: 66
Dec 22 8:17 PM
- BRADLEY: 33
Dec 22 7:16 PM
- BRADLEY: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 22 6:32 PM
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Michigan hires assistant hoops coaches Donlon and Washington May 4
- Michigan's Chatman receives release, plans to transfer May 3
- Michigan's Dawkins transferring to play for father at UCF Apr 6
- Michigan lifts transfer restrictions for Doyle, Albrecht Apr 1
- Doyle, Albrecht receive transfer releases from Michigan Mar 29
- Michigan-Notre Dame is still a great rivalry Mar 17
- Michigan's last-second shots set up First Four vs Tulsa Mar 16
- Tough finish for injured Michigan seniors LeVert, Albrecht Mar 2
- Michigan's Caris LeVert out for season because of ailing leg Mar 1
- Michigan's LeVert returns from leg injury against Purdue Feb 13
- LeVert sitting out again for Michigan against Maryland Jan 12