Young sparks Gators in win over SeminolesDec 23, 2011 - 2:37 AM Gainesville, FL (Sports Network) - Patric Young scored 15 points on 7-of-7 shooting and sparked the Gators during a game-changing run in the second half, as No. 11 Florida rolled over the Florida State Seminoles, 82-64.
Bradley Beal netted 21 points, Kenny Boynton added 14 and Erik Murphy chipped in 12 for the Gators (10-2), winners of five straight.
Luke Loucks had a team-high 15 points for Florida State (8-4), which committed 19 turnovers en route to having its three-game winning streak snapped.
The Gators rattled off 14 straight points early on, only to be answered immediately by an 11-0 FSU run that cut Florida's lead to 14-13 with 8 1/2 minutes left in the opening half.
The Seminoles never took the lead after the game's opening basket, though they pulled within two, 38-36, three minutes into the second half after trailing 32-24 at the break.
From there, Florida put together a 15-2 run highlighted by Young's personal highlight reel over a three-possession span. First, the 6-foot-9 sophomore blocked a driving Bernard James with his left hand, pinning the ball against the backboard to maintain possession. Young threw down a two-handed dunk at the other end, then took a change at midcourt.
The flurry caused FSU to call a timeout, but the Gators continued to enforce their will, with Beal's three-pointer capping the pivotal spurt for a 53-38 cushion with 12 minutes to go,
The hosts led by double digits the rest of the way.
Florida leads the all-time series, 41-22, including wins in the last three meetings...Florida has 12 consecutive wins at the O?Connell Center...The Gators scored 25 points off turnovers, while FSU netted nine points off 11 Florida giveaways.
- FLORIDA STATE: 64
Dec 22 9:02 PM
- FLORIDA STATE: 24
Dec 22 7:55 PM
- FLORIDA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 22 7:05 PM
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida State guard Rathan-Mayes returning for junior season May 2
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Junior college guard Angola-Rodas to attend Florida State Apr 20
- Mutombo's nephew signs to play basketball at Florida State Apr 13
- Florida State's Rathan-Mayes to enter NBA draft Apr 5
- Florida State's Bacon withdraws from NBA draft consideration Mar 28
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Florida State's Beasley focuses on training for NBA draft Mar 24
- Florida State's Bacon to submit name for NBA draft Mar 23
- Florida State hope lessons learned will pay off next season Mar 18