Iowa tops No. 11 WisconsinJan 1, 2012 - 1:56 AM Madison, WI (Sports Network) - Aaron White totaled 18 points and four rebounds as Iowa dealt No. 11 Wisconsin a 72-65 defeat at Kohl Center.
Bryce Cartwright had 17 points with five assists and Melsahn Basabe added 14 points and nine boards for the Hawkeyes (9-6, 1-1 Big Ten), who have won four of five.
"We had our best offensive team on the floor -- that helps. We had five scorers out there, all of whom can make a basket," said Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery about his team's late surge. "I think the thing that made it most impressive was that we were also making plays. It wasn't just one guy going off the dribble."
Jordan Taylor's 17 points weren't enough for the Badgers (12-3, 1-1), who saw their six-game win streak halted. Jared Berggren totaled 12 points and seven rebounds in defeat.
The Hawkeyes pulled ahead for good thanks to a 17-6 surge through the midway point of the second half.
White got the run started on a layup with 11:32 remaining, Cartwright and Basabe each connected on several jumpers, then White drilled a three to end the burst make it 61-50 with 4:49 to play.
Wisconsin made a brief charge, getting within 64-58 on a Josh Gasser layup to complete an 8-3 run, but Roy Devyn Marble hit a jumper and Bryce Cartwright added a deuce for an 68-60 game with 1:55 on the clock to put the game out of reach.
"I've never overanalyzed a game, and this one won't be the first," said Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan. "You've got to hit some of the shots, it takes away the effectiveness of the transition. If you hit shots, it's amazing how much better your defense looks."
Iowa jumped out to an 8-2 edge early on, but Wisconsin chipped away and eventually assumed a 25-24 advantage on a Taylor shot from beyond the arc with 5:17 left before intermission.
Berggren followed with a bucket, but the visitors ended the half at a 7-4 clip to forge a 31-31 deadlock.
Iowa's victory pulled the all-time series even with both schools winning 77 times...Gasser totaled 11 points for Wisconsin...Matt Gatens posted six points and a game-high 12 rebounds for the victors...The Hawkeyes shot 49.2 percent from the field.
- IOWA: 72
Dec 31 2:56 PM
- IOWA: 31
Dec 31 1:46 PM
- IOWA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 31 1:01 PM
- Peter Jok to return to Iowa for senior season May 20
- Wisconsin's Hayes to enter NBA draft, won't sign with agent Apr 20
- Lamont Paris promoted to associate head coach at Wisconsin Apr 12
- Iowa puts walk-on Nicholas Baer on scholarship Apr 7
- Wisconsin's Nigel Hayes to get feedback on draft prospects Apr 5
- Former Badgers player Joe Krabbenhoft back as assistant Apr 4
- Iowa guard Andrew Fleming to transfer Mar 31
- Longtime Wisconsin assistant Gary Close leaves Badgers Mar 30
- Steadied under Greg Gard, Wisconsin can build on experience Mar 26
- Notre Dame advances to Elite 8 with 61-56 win over Badgers Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Stuck in slump, Wisconsin's Hayes contributes in other ways Mar 22