Young leads Creighton past Wichita StateJan 1, 2012 - 4:04 AM Creighton held off Wichita State, 68-61, on Saturday.
Gregory Echenique chipped in 12 points and Grant Gibbs added 11 points and six assists for the Bluejays (11-2 1-1 MVC), who bounced back from 77-65 loss to Missouri State on Wednesday.
"Wichita State is a very talented offensive team. I thought we did a decent job on them except for the last eight or nine minutes of the first half," Creighton head coach Greg McDermott said.
Carl Hall had 17 points and 13 rebounds for Wichita State (10-3, 1-1), which had its eight-game winning streak snapped.
Hall's layup gave the Shockers a 46-39 lead with 15:10 left in regulation, but Creighton clamped down defensively and held Wichita State without a field goal for the next five minutes. Wichita State's lone point in that span came on a Joe Ragland free throw.
A three-pointer by Josh Jones gave Creighton its first lead of the second half, 49-47, but a jumper by Demetric Williams tied the game and finally ended the drought with 10:10 left.
The Bluejays, though, continued to push their lead and Jones hit a backbreaking three-pointer to give Creighton a 60-51 advantage with 5:46 remaining.
The Shockers pulled within three, 62-59, with 1:28 to go, but they did not get any closer the rest of the way.
Wichita State shot 28.6 percent and hit on just 1-of-14 from beyond the arc in the second half.
"There was shots that have been going down, shots that need to go down for us to be successful, weren't there," Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall said of his team's second-half shooting woes.
Echenique got off to a hot start, scoring six points as the Bluejays took a 14-6 lead in the opening six minutes of the contest.
A 12-0 run near the end of the half lifted the Shockers to a 39-31 advantage heading into the locker room.
The loss was the Shockers' first defeat at home this season...Creighton finished 8-of-15 from three-point range...Ragland finished with 12 points and David Kyles had 11 for Wichita State.
- CREIGHTON: 68
WICHITA STATE: 61
Dec 31 8:11 PM
- CREIGHTON: 31
WICHITA STATE: 39
Dec 31 7:01 PM
- CREIGHTON: 0
WICHITA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 31 6:11 PM
- Creighton's Maurice Watson Jr. says he's returning to school May 6
- Starter in 2014-15, Orange's Kaleb Joseph heads to Creighton Apr 18
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- Creighton's Maurice Watson continues to prove doubters wrong Feb 10
- No. 22 Wichita St uses balanced scoring to top Loyola 80-54 Jan 28
- New Mexico State, Wichita State to play makeup game Feb. 15 Jan 18
- Winter storm forces New Mexico St-Wichita St postponement Dec 28
- Wichita State says F Grady's back injury improving Nov 28
- Grady hurt in No. 20 Wichita State loss to Alabama Nov 27
- No. 10 Shockers enter season with high expectations again Nov 3