No. 17 UNLV downs Cal State-BakersfieldJan 6, 2012 - 7:12 AM Bakersfield, CA (Sports Network) - Mike Moser and Justin Hawkins had 17 points apiece, leading No. 17 UNLV to an 89-57 win over Cal State-Bakersfield on Thursday night.
Oscar Bellfield scored 13 points and Anthony Marshall added 12 for the Runnin' Rebels (16-2), who have won seven straight games since their second loss of the season December 10 at Wisconsin.
Zach Lamb led Cal State-Bakersfield (7-9) with 16 points and Stephon Carter had 13. The Roadrunners have lost three of their last four games and are just 2-7 in their last nine.
The Rebels are off to their best start since going 16-2 in the 1992-93 season.
They are on a break until their first Mountain West game of the season January 14 at San Diego State. The last time they were 17-2 to start a season was in 1991-92, when they finished the season 26-2.
UNLV scored the last five points of the first half to carry a 38-27 lead into the break.
Indeed, the game was manageable for Cal State-Bakersfield until the second half, when UNLV used a 14-0 run to take control. Bellfield sparked the burst with a jumper and capped it with a three-pointer, giving the Rebels a 54-29 lead with 16:08 remaining.
The Roadrunners were never closer than 21 points, while UNLV led by as many as 34 down the stretch, and Cal State-Bakersfield coach Rod Barnes was unhappy with his team's effort.
"We're going to find the guys who want to fight for this program," he said. "It doesn't matter who we play, the effort has to be better."
UNLV shot 48.5 percent from the floor, including 51.3 percent in the second half. The Rebels were 9-for-32 from three-point range... Cal State-Bakersfield shot 35.1 percent.
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- UNLV hires Little Rock's Chris Beard as next coach Mar 28
- UNLV freshman Jones Jr. ineligible for rest of the season Mar 2
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee Feb 8
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team Feb 5
- UNLV gets back to business with interim coach Jan 11
- Rice resigns as UNLV's coach in middle of fifth season Jan 10
- Okonoboh asks for release from UNLV Nov 27