Dixon, Kilpatrick help Bearcats down No. 11 GeorgetownJan 10, 2012 - 4:50 AM Cincinnati dealt No. 11 Georgetown a 68-64 defeat at Verizon Center.
Sean Kilpatrick posted a game-high 27 points with three rebounds for the Bearcats (13-4, 3-1 Big East), who have won eight of their last nine.
The victory gave head coach Mick Cronin his 100th at Cincinnati.
Jason Clark and Hollis Thompson each poured in 14 points for the Hoyas (13-3, 3-2), who have dropped consecutive conference contests after winning 11 in a row overall.
Cashmere Wright put Cincy on top for good with two from the line and 1:08 on the clock. Otto Porter missed a layup at the other end and committed a costly turnover on the following possession.
Jason Clark appeared to give the Hoyas a reprieve with 7.1 seconds remaining as he grabbed the Cincinnati inbounds pass -- but was charged with a foul as he fell out of bounds. Dixon sank the first attempt, then after a timeout, calmly sank the second for a 66-62 game.
A driving layup by Markel Starks with just under three seconds left cut the Georgetown deficit to two, but Starks was forced into an immediate foul on Dixon as 1.5 seconds remained. He hit both once more for the final margin of 68-64.
The hosts led 9-2 early, only to see the visitors respond with a 16-4 run to go up 18-13 on a Dixon deuce.
Later in the half, Thompson connected from long range to give Georgetown a 28-25 lead, but Kilpatrick responded with a triple and Yancy Gates added two from the line as Cincy led, 30-28.
Thompson hit another triple as time wound down and gave the Hoyas a 34-32 edge at intermission.
Cronin's record with the Bearcats improved to 100-81 and his overall coaching mark stands at 169-105...The schools have split 10 meetings...Gates totaled eight points and seven rebounds...Cincinnati turned 17 Georgetown turnovers into 20 points...Dixon and Kilpatrick each posted four of Cincy's 13 steals.
- CINCINNATI: 68
Jan 9 11:03 PM
- CINCINNATI: 32
Jan 9 9:50 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 9 9:06 PM
- Cincinnati says Mick Cronin is staying after talks with UNLV Mar 25
- A late dunk, a last-second 3 add to Cincinnati's heartbreak Mar 21
- Saint Joseph's and Cincinnati to play in 1st round of NCAAs Mar 17
- Georgetown already has 5 losses entering Big East play Dec 30
- Cincinnati routs Robert Morris 106-44 Nov 15
- Georgetown Capsule Nov 4
- With Smith-Rivera back, Georgetown eyes better NCAA showing Nov 4
- Georgetown G Smith-Rivera to enter NBA Draft Mar 31
- Utah tops Georgetown, makes 1st Sweet 16 in 10 years Mar 21
- Still-unbeaten Kentucky grinds out win over Cincinnati Mar 21
- Utes and Hoyas meet in third round of NCAA Tournament Mar 21
- Bearcats on tap to test undefeated Wildcats Mar 21