Florida dominates GeorgiaJan 11, 2012 - 5:30 AM
The Gators lost Saturday at Tennessee in their SEC opener, thanks to a poor shooting performance and turnovers. Beal shot 4-of-12 and had a team-high five turnovers in that contest.
But he turned it around Tuesday, making 4-of-6 three-pointers and -- perhaps more importantly -- turning the ball over only once. The effort, along with 17 points from Kenny Boynton, helped Florida (13-4, 1-1 SEC) to its third win in four games.
Nemanja Djurisic netted 14 points for the Bulldogs (9-7, 0-2), who were coming off Saturday's home loss to Alabama.
Florida led from the start, scoring the game's first seven points and using another seven-point burst to build an 18-9 lead just past the midway point of the half. Mike Rosario alone fueled the run, with a three-point play, a jumper and a layup.
After Djurisic followed with a bucket, the Gators went on a 15-2 run to take control. Beal drilled three shots from behind the arc during the stretch, and Florida went into the break with a 35-21 advantage.
"I thought we did a pretty good job defensively," said Florida coach Billy Donovan. "I thought our effort was there."
The Bulldogs never caught up. Shortly into the second half, Erving Walker made a jumper that started an 11-1 run. He made a three moments later, then finished the rally with a three-point play.
The basket made it a 52-27 contest with a little under 12 minutes to go, and Florida cruised from there.
The Gators shot 50 percent and committed only six turnovers...Patric Young finished with 10 boards and eight points for Florida...Georgia made 36.4 percent of its shots.
- GEORGIA: 48
Jan 10 8:55 PM
- GEORGIA: 21
Jan 10 7:45 PM
- GEORGIA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 10 7:05 PM
- Georgia's Juwan Parker granted medical redshirt May 23
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Georgia signs forward Diatta as transfer from Southern Idaho Apr 20
- McGarity believes Georgia program still growing with Fox Mar 30
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- Florida's Egbunu uncertain to play against UNF in NIT Mar 14
- Florida C Egbunu tears thumb ligament before SEC Tournament Mar 9
- Florida trying to rebuild NCAA resume at SEC Tournament Mar 7
- J.J. Frazier keeps believing, keeps shooting for Georgia Mar 4