SDSU comes alive late, keeps Chicago State winlessJan 11, 2012 - 5:44 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Chase Tapley had 24 points and Jamaal Franklin added 16 points and 10 rebounds as No. 22 San Diego State used a huge second-half run to dispatch Chicago State, 73-65.
James Rahon finished with nine points for the Aztecs (14-2), who may have been looking ahead to their showdown against No. 12 UNLV on Saturday. San Diego State has won seven straight games.
Matt Samuels had 17 points and five rebounds to pace Chicago State (0-16), which is one of three winless teams in the country. Towson and Binghamton are the others.
With the score tied, 32-32, at halftime, the Cougars netted the first seven points of the second stanza to take a 39-32 advantage.
And finally, the Aztecs woke up.
Tapley sparked a 24-3 San Diego State run as he aggressively began attacking the rim. He had 13 points during the surge and the Aztecs led, 56-42, midway through the half.
The Cougars pulled within seven, 65-58, following an Alec Williams jumper with 3:37 to go, but they never got any closer.
Samuels nailed a jumper at the buzzer from the right baseline to tie the game heading into the break. He had 12 points in the first half.
Chicago State was 5-of-12 from beyond the arc in the opening 20 minutes.
This is the Aztecs' fourth winning streak of seven or more games over the last two seasons...Jeremy Robinson had 14 points and Lee Fisher pulled down 13 rebounds for Chicago State.
- CHICAGO STATE: 65
SAN DIEGO STATE: 73
Jan 10 11:56 PM
- CHICAGO STATE: 32
SAN DIEGO STATE: 32
Jan 10 10:44 PM
- CHICAGO STATE: 0
SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 10 10:06 PM
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1
- San Diego State says basketball program cleared by NCAA Jan 5
- Hagins scores 14 as Little Rock stuns San Diego St. 49-43 Nov 21
- Chicago State pulls away from Trinity International, 81-69 Nov 21
- Cheatham brings 'good energy' to Fisher's Aztecs Nov 4
- It's now Steve Fisher Court at San Diego State Oct 29
- Duke crushes San Diego State to reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Blue Devils battle Aztecs in South Regional action Mar 22
- San Diego State holds off St. John's to advance Mar 21