No. 9 Missouri holds off TexasJan 14, 2012 - 11:02 PM
Marcus Denmon ended with 18 points and 11 rebounds for the Tigers (16-1, 3-1 Big 12), who have won two in a row since losing at Kansas State a week ago.
They held a 43-30 lead at halftime, and after Texas got within two possessions in the middle of the second half, Missouri pulled back ahead and led comfortably the rest of the way.
"It was a great win for us today," said Missouri head coach Frank Haith. "I thought we showed some poise down the stretch. When they cut [the lead] to five, we did a nice job of getting stops."
J'Covan Brown poured in 34 points for the Longhorns (12-5, 2-2), who had won their last two.
"Our problem lies on the offensive end. We don't do the things we need to do to reach our full potential," said Texas head coach Rick Barnes. "J'Covan Brown had a great game today, but we've got to have everybody."
Missouri used a 16-2 run near the middle of the first half to take control. Denmon, Michael Dixon and Kim English each hit a three-pointer during the run, which Ratliffe ended with two layups for a 30-16 advantage.
The Tigers led by double digits for the rest of the half, and were up 59-46 after English sank a jumper with 13 minutes to play.
But Myck Kabongo followed with a three, Alexis Wangmene added a three-point play, and Texas began to come back. With just under 10 minutes remaining, Brown drained two free throws to make it a 62-57 game.
However, Pressey drilled a three at the other end, and made two foul shots after Kabongo turned the ball over. His fastbreak dunk with 8:36 to play pushed Missouri's lead to 69-57, and Texas didn't put together another run.
Both teams shot well from behind the three-point line. Missouri made 10-of-21, while Texas sank 9-of-16. The Longhorns, however, shot only 45.8 percent overall...English scored 14 points for the Tigers...Kabongo had 12 points and 10 assists for Texas.
- TEXAS: 73
Jan 14 3:00 PM
- TEXAS: 30
Jan 14 1:52 PM
- TEXAS: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 14 1:05 PM
- Texas guard Isaiah Taylor skipping senior year for NBA Apr 21
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Texas hoping Shaka Smart can spark tournament success Mar 16
- Missouri players Isabell, Wright decide to transfer Mar 15
- Anderson gets vote of confidence from athletic director Mar 9
- Texas' Ridley closer to return, status for Big 12 unclear Mar 7
- Missouri says F D'Angelo Allen plans to transfer Feb 29
- Missouri dismisses junior guard Wes Clark Feb 16
- Texas Western returns to scene of '66 NCAA win over Kentucky Feb 13
- Texas lurking near top of Big 12 as 'havoc' takes hold Feb 12
- Missouri's suspended players Gant, Woods in doubt vs Vandy Feb 9