Arkansas edges No. 20 MichiganJan 22, 2012 - 12:40 AM Fayetteville, AR (Sports Network) - B.J. Young had 15 points, Mardracus Wade scored 12 and Arkansas fended off 20th-ranked Michigan, 66-64, at Bud Walton Arena.
Hunter Mickelson and Rickey Scott each contributed 11 points for the Razorbacks (14-5), who have won 12 straight in Fayetteville.
Zack Novak had 17 points and eight rebounds to pace Michigan (15-5), which came out flat after edging No. 9 Michigan State on Tuesday.
Arkansas, which never trailed Saturday, built a 20-point lead in the first half, but it was trimmed to two at 62-60 with less than four minutes remaining when Trey Burke and Novak drained consecutive three-pointers.
With under a minute remaining, Young fed Mickelson inside for a layup and 66-62 Arkansas lead. Burke responded with a layup for the Wolverines with 24.1 seconds left.
Young and Julysses Nobles then both missed the front end of a 1-and-1, but the Razorbacks escaped with the win after Burke's last-second three-point attempt rolled around the rim and out.
"I really thought that was the quickest team we played and it took us a while to get adjusted," said Wolverines head coach John Beilein. "Once we did, we played a pretty good game, but the early lead hurt us."
These teams have split six all-time meetings. Arkansas and Michigan last played in the semifinals of the 1997 NIT...Arkansas improved to 18-19 against current members of the Big Ten...Jordan Morgan had 16 points for the Wolverines...Burke scored 13 points -- on 6-of-19 shooting -- to go along with seven rebounds and six assists.
- MICHIGAN: 64
Jan 21 4:07 PM
- MICHIGAN: 33
Jan 21 2:51 PM
- MICHIGAN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 21 2:13 PM
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Kingsley withdraws name from NBA draft, returns to Arkansas May 9
- Michigan hires assistant hoops coaches Donlon and Washington May 4
- Michigan's Chatman receives release, plans to transfer May 3
- Arkansas' Kingsley enters NBA draft, won't hire agent Apr 12
- Michigan's Dawkins transferring to play for father at UCF Apr 6
- Michigan lifts transfer restrictions for Doyle, Albrecht Apr 1
- Whitt transferring from Arkansas after freshman season Mar 30
- Doyle, Albrecht receive transfer releases from Michigan Mar 29
- Anderson has NCAA tourney in sights next season for Arkansas Mar 22
- Michigan-Notre Dame is still a great rivalry Mar 17
- Michigan's last-second shots set up First Four vs Tulsa Mar 16