No. 6 Ohio State routs NebraskaJan 22, 2012 - 5:56 AM Lincoln, NE (Sports Network) - William Buford scored a game-high 15 points as No. 6 Ohio State used a strong defensive effort to roll over Nebraska, 79-45, on Saturday.
Jared Sullinger and Deshaun Thomas added 14 points apiece for the Buckeyes (17-3, 5-2 Big Ten), who celebrated head coach Thad Matta's 400th career game coached with their fourth win in five games.
Bo Spencer and Brandon Ubel each scored eight points to lead Nebraska (10-9, 2-6), which was held to a 29.5 percent shooting performance and turned the ball over 27 times.
The game was tied at eight after a back-and-forth opening four minutes, but it was all Ohio State from there as the Buckeyes recorded the game's next 10 points to take control.
Nebraska managed to cut the lead to six on three separate occasions in the first 20 minutes but did not get closer than that.
After a Dylan Talley three-pointer followed by a Caleb Walker free throw cut the Buckeye's lead to 24-18 with 3:48 left in the first half, Ohio State scored 12 of the final 14 points of the stanza and held a 36-20 lead at the break.
"We felt that Nebraska was going to come out with a surge to start the game," said Matta. "They were quicker to the ball. Defensively down the stretch in the first half, we did a very good job of limiting open looks and getting our hands on balls from the weak side position."
That lead only grew in the second half as Nebraska shot 6-for-16 from the floor while Ohio State hit 14 of its 32 shots and led by as much as 35 en route to the win.
Matta has a career record of 309-91 as a head coach, including a 207-60 mark with Ohio State...The Buckeyes hold a 6-2 lead in the all-time series...Nebraska fell to 1-4 against ranked opponents this season...Ohio State recorded 22 points off turnovers.
- Miami transfer, coveted 6-11 center sign with Cornhuskers May 17
- Butler assistant Michael Lewis joining Miles' Nebraska staff May 3
- Huskers' Andrew White declaring for draft but could return Apr 21
- Nebraska assistant resigning to take same job at Boise St. Apr 12
- 3 freshman leave Ohio State basketball team Mar 30
- Nebraska, Kansas agree to meet in basketball next 2 seasons Mar 1
- Ohio State F Jae'Sean Tate headed for season-ending surgery Feb 23
- Huskers' Shields hits head, will follow concussion protocol Feb 6
- Ohio State, Nike agree on $252M sponsorship extension Jan 15
- Saint Bonaventure beats Ohio 81-68 Dec 5
- Ohio State Preview Capsule Oct 27
- 'Lots of unknowns' for Ohio State team full of young players Oct 27