UNLV rolls past New MexicoJan 22, 2012 - 8:25 AM Las Vegas, NV (Sports Network) - Mike Moser and Carlos Lopez netted 14 points apiece as No. 14 UNLV ran away from New Mexico in the second half to down the Lobos, 80-63.
Chace Stanback and Anthony Marshall each added 13 points for UNLV (18-3, 2-1 MWC), which has won 9-of-10. The Rebels shot 51.7 percent from the field while limiting the Lobos to 38.6 percent.
"Terrific team victory for us tonight," UNLV head coach Dave Rice said. "That's a good team. We did a great job guarding them. We were fortunate to win the game."
Tony Snell and Kendall Williams tallied 15 points apiece for New Mexico (15-4, 1-2), which dropped its second straight game.
The first half was closely contested and the Rebels didn't take their first lead of the contest until there was 7:51 to go in the opening half when Justin Hawkins made a pair of free throws to make it a 23-21 game.
UNLV took a 39-35 lead into the break. Although New Mexico shot just 36.4 percent in the opening 20 minutes, the Lobos held a 21-15 edge on the glass to keep them in the game.
A Marshall layup capped a 12-3 UNLV run and gave the Rebels a 57-43 lead with 13:42 remaining in the contest.
Moser's layup gave UNLV its largest lead of 22, 74-52, with 7:19 left and the Rebels cruised from there.
The Rebels scored 26 points off 11 New Mexico turnovers in the second half.
Drew Gordon had 14 points and 12 rebounds for New Mexico...Moser also had 10 rebounds...UNLV's bench had a 28-9 advantage over the Lobos' bench...The Rebels had 26 fast break points.
- NEW MEXICO: 63
Jan 22 12:09 AM
- NEW MEXICO: 35
Jan 21 11:01 PM
- NEW MEXICO: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 21 10:16 PM
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- UNLV hires Little Rock's Chris Beard as next coach Mar 28
- UNLV freshman Jones Jr. ineligible for rest of the season Mar 2
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee Feb 8
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team Feb 5
- Correction: New Mexico-San Jose St story Jan 25
- UNLV gets back to business with interim coach Jan 11
- Rice resigns as UNLV's coach in middle of fifth season Jan 10