Wisconsin hands No. 22 Illinois another lossJan 23, 2012 - 2:50 AM Champaign, IL (Sports Network) - Jordan Taylor posted 19 points and nine rebounds to go with five assists and Wisconsin used a late-game burst to get by No. 22 Illinois, 67-63, at Assembly Hall.
Jared Berggren totaled 18 points for the Badgers (16-5, 5-3 Big Ten), who have won four in a row.
"We have to do those little things up and down the floor to be successful each time out," Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan said of his team's recovery from three straight conference defeats. "We don't strike fear in a lot of hearts when we show up."
Meyers Leonard had 16 points and a game-high 11 rebounds for the Illini (15-5, 4-3), who have dropped two in a row after a three-game win streak. Joseph Bertrand added 15 in a losing cause.
Ben Brust hit a jumper with 5:02 to play that put the Badgers up 55-53, then Berggren extended the lead to five on the next possession.
Brandon Paul and D.J. Richardson hit buckets to pull Illinois to 58-57 with 2:55 showing, but Berggren again created distance with a layup. Taylor then added a jumper for a 62-57 game with 32 seconds on the clock, and iced the game from the free-throw line, making 5-of-6 attempts in the final moments.
"They made the plays when they needed to late, and you have to give them credit," Illinois head coach Bruce Weber said. "They continued to out-tough us and outhustle us to the end."
Illinois raced out to a 7-2 lead but Wisconsin recovered and took an 18-11 edge. The tight first half closed at a 26-26 deadlock after Bertrand hit a bucket with two seconds to go.
A Ryan Evans basket put the Badgers up 39-35 early in the second half, and the game was tight from then on. Leonard's free throw with 11:14 left gave Illinois its largest lead of the half at 46-43.
Wisconsin has won four of its last six games at Illinois, after the Illini won eight in a row from 1998-2005...Brust ended with nine points and four rebounds...Paul totaled 10 points and five boards in defeat.
- WISCONSIN: 67
Jan 22 4:04 PM
- WISCONSIN: 26
Jan 22 2:53 PM
- WISCONSIN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 22 2:08 PM
- Illinois' Tate rejoins basketball team after case dropped May 20
- Prosecutor: Case against Illinois' Jaylon Tate dropped May 19
- Brown gets new job at Illinois; Nunn pleads in battery case May 18
- Illinois' Nunn pleads guilty to misdemeanor, gets probation May 18
- Groce: Illinois' Black reinstated, will sit out 6 games May 6
- 9 years after Chief's end, Illinois looks for mascot May 2
- Illinois' Leron Black gets probation for threatening bouncer Apr 21
- Wisconsin's Hayes to enter NBA draft, won't sign with agent Apr 20
- Lamont Paris promoted to associate head coach at Wisconsin Apr 12
- Wisconsin's Nigel Hayes to get feedback on draft prospects Apr 5
- Deal would reduce charge, let Illinois' Black avoid jail Apr 4
- Former Badgers player Joe Krabbenhoft back as assistant Apr 4