Duke rebounds at MarylandJan 26, 2012 - 7:22 AM
Ryan Kelly posted 14 points and Austin Rivers added 10 for the Blue Devils (17-3, 5-1 ACC), who shook off a last-second home loss to Florida State on Saturday to win for the fifth time in six outings.
Terrell Stoglin had 16 points and three assists for the Terrapins (12-7, 2-3), who have dropped three in a row but stayed close to their conference foes on a night where the school dedicated the hardwood to former head coach Gary Williams.
Pe'Shon Howard scored 10 points with six rebounds and four assists in defeat.
"The crowd was off the charts, it was fantastic to see," said Maryland coach Mark Turgeon. "I thought our team battled well and think we had a game plan and we stuck to it and it kept us around."
Plumlee's layup with 12:34 remaining put Duke ahead 48-47, and triggered a deciding 18-9 run that allowed the visitors to keep Maryland at bay.
Seth Curry followed with a lay-in and Plumlee added a three-point play, and later in the surge, Rivers and Kelly added buckets. Plumlee then bookended the burst on an easy deuce with five minutes left for a 64-56 contest.
With Maryland forced to foul inside the final two minutes, Duke connected on all eight of its tries from the free-throw line to ice the victory.
"Down the stretch, we really executed well, hit our free throws, and it was a big win for us," said Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski. "Any win on the road is big."
Stoglin's bucket just shy of the seven-minute mark provided Maryland with an 18-10 cushion but the Blue Devils fought back with a 15-7 run to draw even at 25-25 on a Rivers layup.
Tyler Thornton's three-point play with 1:09 left before the break gave the visitors a 37-32 edge, which ultimately stood at three at intermission after a James Padgett bucket.
Duke has won four in a row and 10 of the last 11 meetings...Despite hitting just 3-of-16 from long distance, the Blue Devils shot 49.1 percent from the floor...The Terrapins connected for 40.4 percent.
- DUKE: 74
Jan 25 11:03 PM
- DUKE: 37
Jan 25 9:54 PM
- DUKE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 25 9:09 PM
- Krzyzewski has hernia surgery, expects to be healthy for Rio May 9
- Duke's Grayson Allen has hernia surgery Apr 22
- Duke's Jefferson receives medical hardship waiver Apr 22
- Maryland's Stone to sign agent, Trimble declares for draft Apr 11
- Duke freshman guard Derryck Thornton to transfer Apr 10
- Maryland junior Robert Carter enters name in NBA draft Apr 7
- Grayson Allen to return to Duke for junior season Apr 6
- Duke's Brandon Ingram declares for NBA Draft after 1 season Apr 4
- Duke: Coach K recovering from knee replacement surgery Apr 3
- Maryland's late-season fade leads into offseason of change Mar 25
- Duke ends with longer-than-expected NCAA run, short bench Mar 25
- No. 5 Maryland outworked by top-seeded Kansas in Sweet 16 Mar 25