No. 16 Indiana rolls past IowaJan 30, 2012 - 4:53 AM Bloomington, IN (Sports Network) - Cody Zeller scored 26 points on 11-of-12 shooting as No. 16 Indiana rolled past Iowa, 103-89, at Assembly Hall.
Christian Watford added 15 points, Verdell Jones III had 14 and Victor Oladipo dropped in 12 off the bench for the Hoosiers (17-5, 5-5 Big Ten), who won for the second time in three games.
"We had a very solid game from a lot of people, but the bottom line was that the ball moved. And when the ball moves on offense and when you're active on defense and we kept understanding the pace of the game, it worked out well for us," Indiana head coach Tom Crean said.
Josh Oglesby paced the Hawkeyes (11-11, 3-6) with 24 points and Matt Gatens contributed 20 in Iowa's fifth loss in six tries.
After Iowa tied the game at 18 early in the first half, Derek Elston knocked down three straight baskets, including two three-pointers, to put Indiana ahead 26-18.
The Hawkeyes battled back with a 13-6 spurt to get within one at 32-31 with seven minutes left. However, the Hoosiers closed out the half with a 22-6 run to take a 54-37 lead into the break.
Iowa shot 50.0 percent from the floor in the first half, but also turned the ball over 10 times and was outrebounded 24-11.
Indiana then cruised through the second half, leading by no less than 12 points and by as many as 24 despite Iowa making 79.2 percent of its shots and 5-of-7 from three-point range.
"We are giving up a lot of size," said Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery. "They had some decent post moves. It wasn't like they were running a lot of stuff to get them the ball. They were just catching the ball and finishing."
Iowa had been 9-0 over the past two years when scoring 80 points or more...The Hawkeyes fell to 2-3 against ranked teams this season...Jones also had a game- high nine assists...Indiana outscored Iowa in the paint, 58-40...Elston finished with 11 points.
- Peter Jok to return to Iowa for senior season May 20
- Blackmon Jr. declares for NBA draft without hiring agent Apr 25
- Indiana forward Troy Williams enters NBA draft, could return Apr 12
- Thomas Bryant to return for sophomore season at Indiana Apr 7
- Iowa puts walk-on Nicholas Baer on scholarship Apr 7
- Former Indiana Hoosiers star Archie Dees dies at age 80 Apr 4
- Iowa guard Andrew Fleming to transfer Mar 31
- Sweet 16 loss to North Carolina ends Yogi years at Indiana Mar 26
- Heels vs. Hoosiers in Sweet 16: These teams shoot and score Mar 24
- Crean overcomes criticism to lead Hoosiers back to Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Hoosiers turnaround inspired by tougher, stouter defense Mar 23
- Iowa's promising season ends in disappointment Mar 21