No. 17 San Diego State edges Boise StateFeb 2, 2012 - 7:38 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Jamaal Franklin scored 16 points and pulled down eight rebounds as No. 17 San Diego State survived to take a 58-56 win over Boise State.
The game came down to the final shot after Chase Tapley hit 1-of-2 from the foul line for a two-point lead with 7.5 seconds to play.
Boise State got the shot it wanted as Thomas Bropleh was wide open at the right side for a potential winning three-pointer, but his shot rimmed out as time expired.
"When that shot was going up, I was praying that it would roll out and it did. The basketball gods saved us," Tapley said.
Tapley had 14 points for the Aztecs (19-3, 5-1 MWC), who bounced back from a loss to Colorado State on Saturday.
Anthony Drmic scored 17 points with seven rebounds while Tre Nichols added 17 points for the Broncos (10-11, 0-6), who have dropped their past seven games.
The Aztecs led early, but went close to seven minutes without a point while the Broncos posted 14 straight to take a 17-10 lead.
Drmic hit a three-pointer and Ryan Watkins made a bucket near the buzzer to give Boise State a 33-25 lead after 20 minutes.
The Broncos stretched that lead to 12 points early in the second half on a Westley Perryman layup, but went blank for close to 10 minutes as San Diego State scored 14 points during that time with a jumper from Xavier Thames giving the team a lead.
Tapley's two free throws with under six minutes to play gave San Diego State a 47-40 lead, but Boise State rallied to keep the game close the rest of the way.
"The thing I am most impressed with about our team is that even though we got smacked around, we kept coming back," Boise State head coach Leon Rice said.
Derrick Marks scored 12 points for Boise State...Boise State hosts New Mexico on Saturday...San Diego State hosts TCU on Saturday...San Diego State shot just 31.3 percent from the floor while Boise State made 41.2 percent of its attempts. However, the Aztecs shot 25-for-29 from the line while the Broncos made just seven of their 16 free throw attempts.
- BOISE STATE: 56
SAN DIEGO STATE: 58
Feb 2 12:19 AM
- BOISE STATE: 33
SAN DIEGO STATE: 25
Feb 1 10:59 PM
- BOISE STATE: 0
SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 1 10:17 PM
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1
- San Diego State says basketball program cleared by NCAA Jan 5
- Boise State blows out Concordia (Ore.) 100-53 Nov 23
- Hagins scores 14 as Little Rock stuns San Diego St. 49-43 Nov 21
- Cheatham brings 'good energy' to Fisher's Aztecs Nov 4
- It's now Steve Fisher Court at San Diego State Oct 29
- Duke crushes San Diego State to reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Blue Devils battle Aztecs in South Regional action Mar 22
- San Diego State holds off St. John's to advance Mar 21