No. 11 UNLV fends off Colorado StateFeb 2, 2012 - 7:48 AM Las Vegas, NV (Sports Network) - Chace Stanback and Oscar Bellfield each scored 16 points, and No. 11 UNLV fended off the upset-minded Colorado State Rams, 82-63, to remain undefeated at home this season.
Mike Moser finished with 13 points and eight rebounds, while Anthony Marshall added 13 points and seven assists for the Runnin' Rebels (21-3, 5-1 MWC), winners of five straight overall.
Wes Eikmeier netted 18 points and Dorian Green scored 15 for the Rams (14-7, 3-3), who were coming off a 77-60 upset win over San Diego State on Saturday.
Stanback's jumper beat the halftime buzzer to give the hosts a 48-35 cushion, but Colorado State scored the first 11 points of the second half.
With their lead cut to two, the Rebels responded with an 11-0 burst of their own, highlighted by Bellfield's three-pointer off a stolen inbounds pass.
The closest the Rams got over the final 14 minutes was nine.
"We were a little bit flat and Colorado State was very good," UNLV head coach Dave Rice said of the beginning of the second half. "It's a credit to our guys [to come back]."
Colorado State led 19-12 seven minutes in, but UNLV scored the next 12 points to jump in front.
Eikmeier stopped the run with a jumper, but the Rebels answered with an 8-0 run to push the margin to 32-21 with five minutes left in the half.
Former UNLV head coach Charlie Spoonhour died Wednesday at the age of 72 after a battle with lung disease. He led the Rebels to a 54-31 record from 2001-04...Greg Smith totaled 13 points and seven rebounds for the Rams...UNLV shot 50 percent from the field and 9-of-23 from three-point range.
- COLORADO STATE: 63
Feb 2 12:21 AM
- COLORADO STATE: 35
Feb 1 11:16 PM
- COLORADO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 1 10:33 PM
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- UNLV hires Little Rock's Chris Beard as next coach Mar 28
- UNLV freshman Jones Jr. ineligible for rest of the season Mar 2
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee Feb 8
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team Feb 5
- UNLV gets back to business with interim coach Jan 11
- Rice resigns as UNLV's coach in middle of fifth season Jan 10
- Colorado St. extends Eustachy, contract runs through 2019 Dec 8