Backcourt leads Gators past GamecocksFeb 3, 2012 - 7:13 AM Florida downed South Carolina, 74-66.
Erving Walker added 14 points and seven assists for the Gators (18-4, 6-1 SEC), who have won six straight games.
Bruce Ellington scored 15 points while Damontre Harris netted 12 points with nine rebounds and six blocks for South Carolina (9-12, 1-6 SEC), which has lost six of its last seven games.
"This is as good as we've been defensively all year," South Carolina head coach Darrin Horn said. "But that's arguably the best offensive team in the league."
Back-to-back three-pointers by Ellington and Anthony Gill pulled the Gamecocks within five, 61-56, with 2:52 to play in the game.
A bit later, Boynton's layup gave Florida a 67-59 advantage, but a Brenton Williams trey made it 67-62.
But Florida went 7-of-8 from the charity stripe in the final 51 seconds to seal the win.
A 14-2 Gators surge gave Florida a commanding 27-10 advantage midway through the opening half. Boynton netted five points while Mike Rosario had four points during the surge.
"The same shots that we knocked down in the first whatever it was, 12 to 14 minutes of the game, were the same shots we could not buy (the rest of the game)," Florida head coach Billy Donovan said. "I thought our guys got too focused on the shots they were missing, instead of playing the game and staying aggressive."
Florida, though, recorded just one point over the final 5:06 of the stanza. South Carolina closed the half on a 9-1 run to pull within 37-28 at the break.
The Gators shot just 37.3 percent, but Florida outrebounded South Carolina 42-30 and 20-10 on the offensive glass...The Gators made just 1-of-13 shots from beyond the arc in the second half.
- SOUTH CAROLINA: 66
Feb 2 11:11 PM
- SOUTH CAROLINA: 28
Feb 2 9:53 PM
- SOUTH CAROLINA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 2 9:06 PM
- South Carolina forward Raymond Doby leaving the program May 18
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- South Carolina dismisses suspended players Gregory, Cobb Apr 4
- Gamecocks give men's coach Frank Martin 4-year extension Apr 1
- South Carolina got told it was in - except, it wasn't Mar 31
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Offseason questions loom for Frank Martin, South Carolina Mar 23
- 2 South Carolina players arrested over BB gun shooting Mar 17
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- 5 South Carolina players suspended before NIT game Mar 15