Ohio State tops Wisconsin to remain atop Big TenFeb 4, 2012 - 11:34 PM
The Buckeyes (20-3, 8-2 Big Ten) entered Saturday just a half game ahead of the Badgers for first place in the conference, but got 16 points from Deshaun Thomas and 11 from William Buford to earn their first victory in Madison since 2000. They have won five straight and seven of eight overall.
The Badgers (18-6, 7-4), who entered Saturday on a six-game win streak, were paced by Ryan Evans' 14 points. Jordan Taylor added 12 points and six assists while Mike Bruesewitz finished with 11 points and 11 rebounds.
"We take pride in how hard we play, that's what you have control over," said Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan. "The results after the game is done, you can't change."
Ohio State had dropped nine straight at Wisconsin and found itself down late in the first half before unfurling a 9-2 run to take a 24-20 lead. Sullinger and Buford were personally responsible for the burst, scoring five and four points, respectively. The Buckeyes never trailed again.
The advantage remained at four, 28-24, at the break and was extended to seven, 45-38, on a three-point play by Lenzelle Smith Jr. with just over eight minutes remaining. The Badgers, though, continued to hang around.
They cut their deficit to one, 51-50, on a Bruesewitz trey with 3:46 left before Buford answered with a three a little over a minute later to make it a four-point game.
"It was obviously a big time shot," said Ohio State coach Thad Matta. "I've got great faith in William and that was a big, big time shot for us."
Wisconsin wouldn't get any closer. Bruesewitz missed a three on the team's next possession and Taylor turned the ball over after a Sullinger miss. Buford and Aaron Craft both hit a pair of free throws in the closing minute to seal the win.
The Buckeyes earned their first win in Madison since January 13, 2000...Matta notched his 12th straight 20-win season...Sullinger, a sophomore, surpassed the 1,000-point mark for his career, becoming the 48th Ohio State player to do so...The Buckeyes lead the all-time series, 83-65.
- OHIO STATE: 58
Feb 4 3:53 PM
- OHIO STATE: 28
Feb 4 2:48 PM
- OHIO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 4 2:06 PM
- Wisconsin's Hayes to enter NBA draft, won't sign with agent Apr 20
- Lamont Paris promoted to associate head coach at Wisconsin Apr 12
- Wisconsin's Nigel Hayes to get feedback on draft prospects Apr 5
- Former Badgers player Joe Krabbenhoft back as assistant Apr 4
- 3 freshman leave Ohio State basketball team Mar 30
- Longtime Wisconsin assistant Gary Close leaves Badgers Mar 30
- Steadied under Greg Gard, Wisconsin can build on experience Mar 26
- Notre Dame advances to Elite 8 with 61-56 win over Badgers Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Stuck in slump, Wisconsin's Hayes contributes in other ways Mar 22
- Badgers, Musketeers preparing for physical NCAA clash Mar 19
- New-look Badgers back in NCAA Tournament against Pittsburgh Mar 17