Northern Iowa knocks off No. 13 CreightonFeb 5, 2012 - 1:21 AM Northern Iowa to a 65-62 upset win over No. 13 Creighton.
James scored the final eight points for the Panthers (16-9, 6-7 MVC), who turned the ball over just twice and made 11-of-21 shots from three-point range. James finished with 16 points.
Seth Tuttle added 13 points and nine rebounds and Deon Mitchell had 12 points for Northern Iowa.
Young poured in 23 points while Doug McDermott had a double-double with 18 points and 13 rebounds for Creighton (21-3, 11-2), which had its 11-game winning streak snapped.
The Bluejays, which came in shooting 45.3 percent from beyond the arc, -- the best percentage in the country -- made just 5-of-16 attempts from three-point range.
Creighton kept itself in the contest by outrebounding Northern Iowa 44-30 and 12-7 on the offensive glass. The Bluejays held a 19-3 advantage in second- chance points.
Jake Koch's three-pointer from the right corner gave the hosts a 58-54 lead with 1:11 to play, but Young nailed a pair of foul shots at the other end to make it a two-point game with 54 seconds left.
It appeared that James' trey sealed the win for the Panthers with 24 seconds remaining, but Jahenns Manigat had the quick answer with a trey at the other end to make it 61-59 with 15 seconds to play.
James made just 1-of-2 foul shots on Northern Iowa's ensuing possession, leading to the frantic finish.
Northern Iowa nailed five of its 11 attempts from beyond the arc as the hosts took a 31-30 lead into the break. Tuttle netted 11 points to pace the Panthers in the opening half.
With the game tied at 45, a 6-0 flurry by the Panthers was capped by Chip Rank's three-pointer, which made it 51-45 with 5:21 to play.
Creighton had a 28-18 points in the paint advantage...Creighton still owns a 29-16 lead in the all-time series with Northern Iowa...Northern Iowa scored 17 points off 11 Creighton turnovers.
- CREIGHTON: 62
NORTHERN IOWA: 65
Feb 4 7:08 PM
- CREIGHTON: 30
NORTHERN IOWA: 31
Feb 4 5:49 PM
- CREIGHTON: 0
NORTHERN IOWA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 4 5:08 PM
- Creighton's Maurice Watson Jr. says he's returning to school May 6
- Starter in 2014-15, Orange's Kaleb Joseph heads to Creighton Apr 18
- Texas A&M downs N Iowa with historic last-minute comeback Mar 21
- Experienced Panthers eager to carry momentum forward Mar 19
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Creighton's Maurice Watson continues to prove doubters wrong Feb 10
- Creighton hoping transfers Watson, Huff can spark turnaround Oct 21
- Northern Iowa gives Jacobson a new 10-year deal Apr 2
- Rozier, Louisville top UNI to reach 4th straight Sweet 16 Mar 23
- East Regional action pits Cards against Panthers Mar 22
- UNI holds off Wyoming Mar 20