Oladipo helps Indiana past PurdueFeb 5, 2012 - 2:44 AM West Lafayette, IN (Sports Network) - Victor Oladipo set a career-high with 23 points to go with eight rebounds as No. 20 Indiana held off Purdue for a 78-61 win at Mackey Arena on Saturday.
The Hoosiers got impressive efforts from freshmen Cody Zeller, 16 points and eight rebounds, and Remy Abell, who had a career-high 13 points as Indiana (18-6, 6-6 Big Ten) bounced back from a 68-56 loss at Michigan on Wednesday.
Robbie Hummel led the way for the Purdue (15-8, 5-5) offense with 16 points and 10 rebounds and D.J. Byrd added 15 points for the Boilermakers, who have now lost three of their last four.
Purdue had a chance to pull within two with two minutes to play but Will Sheehey pinned Lewis Jackson's layup attempt off the backboard and Christian Watford knocked down two at the line to put Indiana up 67-61.
Abell's trey on the next possession put the Hoosiers up 70-61 and sealed the victory for the road team, which closed the game on a 13-0 run.
Oladipo scored seven points in a 13-0 run by the Hoosiers early on as they took the lead, 19-13, with 7:09 remaining in the first.
The Boilermakers shot a dreadful 8-for-40 from the field including 0-for-11 from three-point range as they entered the locker room facing a 33-22 deficit.
Purdue found its shot at halftime, however, as it came out of the intermission hitting 3-of-4 from long range to pull within seven, 43-36, with 15:52 left in the game.
This game marked the 197th meeting between these two teams...Indiana defeated Purdue for the first time since March 1, 2006...Purdue will look to bounce back at No. 3 Ohio State on Tuesday, while the Hoosiers host Illinois on Thursday...Purdue's Jackson had four assists to record his 400th career assist.
- Former Michigan guard formally joins Purdue program May 17
- Blackmon Jr. declares for NBA draft without hiring agent Apr 25
- Indiana forward Troy Williams enters NBA draft, could return Apr 12
- Thomas Bryant to return for sophomore season at Indiana Apr 7
- Purdue's Edwards declares for NBA draft without agent Apr 5
- Former Indiana Hoosiers star Archie Dees dies at age 80 Apr 4
- Purdue's Kendall Stephens plans to explore transferring Mar 31
- Sweet 16 loss to North Carolina ends Yogi years at Indiana Mar 26
- Heels vs. Hoosiers in Sweet 16: These teams shoot and score Mar 24
- Crean overcomes criticism to lead Hoosiers back to Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Hoosiers turnaround inspired by tougher, stouter defense Mar 23
- Boilermakers forward Caleb Swanigan plans to test NBA draft Mar 22