No. 22 Michigan takes care of NebraskaFeb 9, 2012 - 6:00 AM Lincoln, NE (Sports Network) - Zack Novak had 14 points to lift No. 22 Michigan to a 62-46 win over Nebraska.
Stu Douglass had 13 points and Trey Burke added 12 along with five rebounds and five assists for the Wolverines (18-7, 8-4 Big Ten), who have won two of their last three.
"I think the game is a lot about our defense today," said Michigan head coach John Beilein. "Stu Douglass and Zack Novak really buy into playing defense. They wanted to play their (Nebraska's) two best players. They did a great job on them. That sort of sets the tone of our entire team."
Bo Spencer posted 13 points for the Cornhuskers (11-12, 3-9), who have dropped their past three games.
"I was disappointed we lost the basketball game, but I'm so proud of our guys. I thought they played as hard as you could play," said Nebraska head coach Doc Sadler. "I thought our guys competed for forty minutes on that end. We just didn't shoot the basketball."
Michigan led this game from start to finish as Novak opened the scoring with a three-pointer and Douglass later hit a three-ball for a 9-2 lead three minutes in.
A Brandon Richards three-point play cut the Wolverines' lead to 13-11 with 7 1/2 minutes to play in the first half, and later made it a one-point game on a Caleb Walker jumper.
Michigan, though, closed the half with the final six points to take a 22-15 lead after 20 minutes of play.
The Wolverines opened the second half with a 20-12 run and it was a 32-17 game five minutes in on a Jordan Morgan layup.
That proved to be the backbreaker for Nebraska as Michigan built its lead as high as 26 to close out the win.
Michigan hosts Illinois on Sunday...Nebraska plays at Penn State on Saturday...The last meeting between these two teams was December 8, 1992. Michigan leads the series, 7-1.
- Miami transfer, coveted 6-11 center sign with Cornhuskers May 17
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Michigan hires assistant hoops coaches Donlon and Washington May 4
- Butler assistant Michael Lewis joining Miles' Nebraska staff May 3
- Michigan's Chatman receives release, plans to transfer May 3
- Huskers' Andrew White declaring for draft but could return Apr 21
- Nebraska assistant resigning to take same job at Boise St. Apr 12
- Michigan's Dawkins transferring to play for father at UCF Apr 6
- Michigan lifts transfer restrictions for Doyle, Albrecht Apr 1
- Doyle, Albrecht receive transfer releases from Michigan Mar 29
- Michigan-Notre Dame is still a great rivalry Mar 17
- Michigan's last-second shots set up First Four vs Tulsa Mar 16