Badgers escape Minnesota with OT winFeb 10, 2012 - 4:33 AM
Ryan Evans contributed the first double-double of his collegiate career with 17 points and 11 boards for the Badgers (19-6, 8-4 Big Ten), who won their fifth Big Ten road game in six tries (8-2 overall).
"We are the same people. We drink the same milk as we do at home," Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan joked. "We still think we can always get the next one no matter what."
Andre Hollins paced Minnesota's scoring attack, dropping 20 points with six rebounds and a block for the Golden Gophers (17-8, 5-7). Rodney Williams added 16 points, two blocks and a steal.
"[Hollins] was outstanding tonight," said Minnesota head coach Tubby Smith. "He's the reason we got back in the ball game and he's very capable of it. He'll have to see a lot more time."
Wisconsin dominated overtime on the back of excellent free throw shooting. They made just one field goal, a jumper by Evans with 3:08 to play, but knocked down 15 freebies in 17 opportunities to hold off a late barrage of threes by the Minnesota offense.
Minnesota had trailed since Julian Welch banked home a trey to give the Golden Gophers a 16-14 lead with 9:31 to go in the first half, but a pair of Hollins free throws with 1:02 remaining in the game tied it at 51-51. The teams traded misses in the final minute, and Hollins' baseline jumper struck iron at the buzzer to send the game to overtime.
The Badgers shot 63.6 percent (7-11) from behind the arc in the first half, paced by Taylor, who netted four in as many tries. Wisconsin led 32-24 at the break.
Taylor passed Trevon Hughes for 13th on Wisconsin's all-time scoring list...This game was the 180th meeting between the schools. Minnesota leads the all-time series, the longest in program history, 94-86...UW won at Minnesota for the first time since 2008.
- WISCONSIN: 68
Final - OT
Feb 9 9:14 PM
- WISCONSIN: 51
End of Regulation
Feb 9 8:54 PM
- WISCONSIN: 32
Feb 9 7:45 PM
- WISCONSIN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 9 7:04 PM
- Under-pressure Pitino: 'We've got to get this right' May 12
- Audit finds overspending on travel by Gophers' coach May 11
- Prosecutor delays charging decision against Minnesota player May 10
- Minnesota: Basketball player arrested on sex assault charge May 8
- Wisconsin's Hayes to enter NBA draft, won't sign with agent Apr 20
- Guard Akeem Springs joins Minnesota as graduate transfer Apr 19
- Lamont Paris promoted to associate head coach at Wisconsin Apr 12
- Wisconsin's Nigel Hayes to get feedback on draft prospects Apr 5
- Minnesota guard to transfer after sex video suspension Apr 4
- Former Badgers player Joe Krabbenhoft back as assistant Apr 4
- Longtime Wisconsin assistant Gary Close leaves Badgers Mar 30
- 3 Minnesota players suspended for video are reinstated Mar 29