UNLV holds off San Diego StateFeb 12, 2012 - 2:36 AM Las Vegas, NV (Sports Network) - Justin Hawkins forced a turnover on the potential game-winning possession with one second remaining and No. 14 UNLV held off No. 13 San Diego State, 65-63, at Thomas & Mack Center.
Mike Moser led the way with 19 points, nine rebounds, six steals and four blocks for the Runnin' Rebels (22-4, 6-2 Mountain West). Oscar Bellfield added 15 points and six assists, and Brice Massamba contributed 12 points for UNLV, which remained undefeated at home (14-0).
Chase Tapley dropped a game-high 22 points for SDSU (20-4, 6-2). Jamaal Franklin added 15 and eight rebounds for the Aztecs, who had a six-game winning streak against UNLV snapped.
SDSU, which trailed by as many as 13 in the second half, took its first lead of the final period, 63-62, on Tapley's three-pointer with 1:25 to go. But Moser picked off a pass on the Aztecs' next possession and dished it out to Anthony Marshall for a fastbreak layup and a one-point Rebel lead they would not relinquish.
SDSU had a chance to go in front with 21 seconds to go and possession, but Marshall stripped Franklin as he went up for a shot in the low post. That led to Chace Stanback going to the charity stripe, but he missed the front end of a 1-and-1. Hawkins got the offensive rebound and made 1-of-2 free throws with 10 seconds to go. Hawkins came up with a steal near midcourt to end the contest.
UNLV looked to be running away midway through the second, building up an 11 point lead with 9:18 to play. San Diego State refused to go away, however, and after Stanback's jumper put UNLV up 60-50, the Aztecs rolled off a 13-2 run, including a personal 7-2 flurry by Tapley.
"Give [SDSU] a lot of credit," said UNLV head coach Dave Rice. "They made very tough shots which is why they're as good of a team as they are."
The Rebels utilized a 10-0 edge in fastbreak points and a 11-2 run to close out the first half to lead 37-29.
UNLV leads the all-time series 33-21...SDSU had a three-game winning streak at Thomas & Mack Center snapped. In that span the rest of the country was a combined 3-25 at UNLV...The Rebels shot 40.9 percent from the field. San Diego State has not allowed a team to shoot above 50 percent for 41 consecutive games...UNLV moved into a first-place tie in the Mountain West.
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 63
Feb 11 5:59 PM
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 29
Feb 11 4:44 PM
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 11 4:05 PM
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- UNLV hires Little Rock's Chris Beard as next coach Mar 28
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- UNLV freshman Jones Jr. ineligible for rest of the season Mar 2
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee Feb 8
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team Feb 5