Iowa upsets No. 18 IndianaFeb 20, 2012 - 1:49 AM Iowa City, IA (Sports Network) - Matt Gatens scored a career-high 30 points, including 7-of-10 from long range, as Iowa knocked off No. 18 Indiana 78-66 at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Sunday.
Melsahn Basabe scored 13 points, pulled down seven rebounds and blocked five shots off the bench while Josh Oglesby chipped in 11 points for the Hawkeyes (14-13, 6-8 Big Ten), who snapped a two-game losing streak.
Cody Zeller led Indiana (20-7, 8-7) with a double-double, scoring 15 points to go with 13 rebounds, while Victor Oladipo netted 15 points as well. The Hoosiers had won three straight coming into the contest.
Iowa trailed early but used a 10-0 spurt to take a 14-8 advantage just over four minutes into the game and the Hawkeyes never looked back.
The Hoosiers pulled within one at 18-17, but the Hawkeyes ran away again scoring 12 of the next 13 points to take a 30-18 lead on a Oglesby triple with just under four minutes to go until halftime.
With Iowa leading by 14 late in the half, Matt Roth drilled a triple from the corner to silence the Hawkeye faithful and pull Indiana within striking distance, 37-26, at the break.
Iowa cruised early in the second as an Andrew Brommer tip-in with just over 12 minutes left pushed the lead to its highest point at 19, while the Hawkeyes looked to pull away.
The Hoosiers had other plans in mind, reeling off nine straight to pull within 10, 52-42, with eight minutes remaining.
That was as close as the Hoosiers would get, however, as Gatens knocked down four straight treys for Iowa to take a 65-46 lead with 4:35 to play.
Indiana leads the series, 95-74...Iowa finished 9-of-18 from long range, while the Hoosiers shot 6-of-16 from beyond the arc...Indiana's Roth finished with 12 points on 4-of-4 shooting from three-point range.
- INDIANA: 66
Feb 19 8:10 PM
- INDIANA: 26
Feb 19 6:52 PM
- INDIANA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 19 6:08 PM
- Peter Jok to return to Iowa for senior season May 20
- Blackmon Jr. declares for NBA draft without hiring agent Apr 25
- Indiana forward Troy Williams enters NBA draft, could return Apr 12
- Thomas Bryant to return for sophomore season at Indiana Apr 7
- Iowa puts walk-on Nicholas Baer on scholarship Apr 7
- Former Indiana Hoosiers star Archie Dees dies at age 80 Apr 4
- Iowa guard Andrew Fleming to transfer Mar 31
- Sweet 16 loss to North Carolina ends Yogi years at Indiana Mar 26
- Heels vs. Hoosiers in Sweet 16: These teams shoot and score Mar 24
- Crean overcomes criticism to lead Hoosiers back to Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Hoosiers turnaround inspired by tougher, stouter defense Mar 23
- Iowa's promising season ends in disappointment Mar 21