UNLV handles Boise StateFeb 23, 2012 - 8:23 AM Las Vegas, NV (Sports Network) - Chace Stanback drained four three-pointers en route to a game-high 19 points and seven rebounds as No. 21 UNLV took care of business on Wednesday with a 75-58 victory over Boise State.
Brice Massamba contributed 14 points, while Justin Hawkins added 13 points for the Runnin' Rebels (23-6, 7-4 MWC), who snapped a two-game skid. Anthony Marshall donated 11 points, 10 rebounds and five assists.
"I'm very proud of our team," UNLV head coach Dave Rice said. "One of the things we talked about before the game was that we felt like we lost a little bit ouf our swagger. The way we felt we could get it back was to play the way we needed to play on the defensive end of the floor."
Thomas Bropleh led the Broncos (13-13, 3-8) with nine points and six rebounds, while Anthony Drmic also added nine points. Boise State had its three-game winning streak snapped.
With the game tied at six early, UNLV used an 11-3 burst to push out to a 17-9 lead with just under 13 minutes left in the opening half. Stanback netted nine points during the run.
Jeff Elorriaga drained a three-pointer to pull the Broncos within five, 17-12, but a Hawkins trey followed by a Marshall slam pushed the Rebels' lead to 22-12 with around 11 minutes to go in the opening half.
UNLV led 41-29 at the break.
Bropleh made 1-of-2 from the line five minutes into the second half to pull Boise State within 49-38, but UNLV responded with a 9-2 run to extend its lead to 58-40 with 12 minutes to play.
A slam by Quintrell Thomas with just over eight minutes left gave the Rebels their largest lead of the game, 66-43, and the Broncos never got close the rest of the way.
UNLV leads the all-time series by a count of 4-1, but the Rebels had to go to overtime to take out Boise State on the road at Taco Bell Arena in the first meeting of the season by a score of 77-72...With the win, UNLV stayed perfect at home this season (15-0)...The Runnin' Rebels lived up to their name, putting home 21 fastbreak points to just two for the Broncos...UNLV shot 49.1 percent from the floor, while Boise State shot 35.7 percent.
- BOISE STATE: 58
Feb 23 12:13 AM
- BOISE STATE: 29
Feb 22 11:02 PM
- BOISE STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 22 10:17 PM
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- UNLV hires Little Rock's Chris Beard as next coach Mar 28
- UNLV freshman Jones Jr. ineligible for rest of the season Mar 2
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee Feb 8
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team Feb 5
- UNLV gets back to business with interim coach Jan 11
- Rice resigns as UNLV's coach in middle of fifth season Jan 10
- Okonoboh asks for release from UNLV Nov 27