Iowa completes season sweep of No. 16 WisconsinFeb 24, 2012 - 5:40 AM
Gatens, coming off a 30-point game in Sunday's win over Indiana, made seven three-pointers en route to a 33-point performance to give Iowa (15-13, 7-8 Big Ten) a second straight victory over a ranked opponent.
"I think Matt is making a name for himself to be somebody to be considered to be drafted, certainly making a push for all league," Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery said. "Once he got going, he was on fire."
Aaron White added 12 points and Roy Devyn Marble chipped in 11 points and eight assists for the Hawkeyes, who completed the season sweep of Wisconsin.
Ryan Evans and Josh Gasser led the Badgers (20-8, 9-6) with 14 points apiece, while Rob Wilson and Ben Brust netted 11 and 10 points, respectively, in the setback.
Iowa led by 11 points late in the second half, but a seven-minute scoreless stretch allowed Wisconsin to trim its deficit to 63-61 on Brust's three- pointer with 20.2 seconds remaining.
Marble ended Iowa's drought with two free throws with 18.7 seconds left, and Evans and White both missed the front end of 1-and-1s to keep it a four- point game.
Jordan Taylor, Wisconsin's leading scorer, put in a quick layup for his first points of the second half, but Gatens fittingly sealed the win with two makes at the foul line.
Taylor's three-pointer at the buzzer did nothing more than up his stat line to nine points on 4-of-8 shooting.
Wisconsin entered as the nation's leading defense, allowing just 51.0 points per game. Iowa, undaunted by the Badgers' defensive prowess, went out and shot 58 percent from the field in the first half.
Gatens did most of the damage, totaling 18 points on 7-of-8 shooting, including a 4-for-4 effort from behind the arc.
The fast start gave the Hawkeyes a 43-34 halftime lead, and Gatens answered a 12-2 Wisconsin push early in the second half with a personal 10-2 run. The sharpshooter hit a pair of three-pointers to finish off the flurry and give Iowa a 61-50 lead just past the midway point.
Iowa earned a 72-65 decision at Wisconsin on December 31...The Hawkeyes lead the all-time series, 78-77...Including Sunday's game, Gatens made 12 straight three-point attempts before missing one a little over two minutes into the second half. He wound up shooting 12-of-18 from the field and 7-of-10 from long range...Taylor came in averaging 14.3 points per game.
- WISCONSIN: 66
Feb 23 10:58 PM
- WISCONSIN: 34
Feb 23 9:46 PM
- WISCONSIN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 23 9:08 PM
- Peter Jok to return to Iowa for senior season May 20
- Wisconsin's Hayes to enter NBA draft, won't sign with agent Apr 20
- Lamont Paris promoted to associate head coach at Wisconsin Apr 12
- Iowa puts walk-on Nicholas Baer on scholarship Apr 7
- Wisconsin's Nigel Hayes to get feedback on draft prospects Apr 5
- Former Badgers player Joe Krabbenhoft back as assistant Apr 4
- Iowa guard Andrew Fleming to transfer Mar 31
- Longtime Wisconsin assistant Gary Close leaves Badgers Mar 30
- Steadied under Greg Gard, Wisconsin can build on experience Mar 26
- Notre Dame advances to Elite 8 with 61-56 win over Badgers Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Stuck in slump, Wisconsin's Hayes contributes in other ways Mar 22