Syracuse cruises past AlbanyNov 16, 2011 - 4:18 AM Syracuse, NY (Sports Network) - James Southerland and Kris Joseph each scored 19 points to lead No. 5 Syracuse to a 98-74 victory over Albany in the quarterfinals of the NIT Season Tip-Off.
Baye Keita added 14 points for the Orange (3-0), who shot 53 percent from the field and won the rebounding battle, 47-29.
Gerardo Suero paced the Great Danes (1-2) with 31 points, while Logan Aronhalt chipped in 20 points in defeat.
Syracuse's Fab Melo broke a 16-16 tie seven minutes into the game with a layup, subsequently starting a 14-2 run that Southerland highlighted with eight points.
Albany did not hit a field goal in the final four minutes of the half, and Dion Waiters' layup in the final minute gave the Orange a healthy 51-34 lead.
Scoop Jardine made a three-pointer during a nine-point flurry early in the second half that extended the margin to 62-37 with 16 minutes to play.
The difference never dipped below 16 the rest of the way.
Syracuse has won all nine meetings against Albany...The Orange outscored Albany, 60-20, in the paint...Melo contributed eight points and seven rebounds.
- Syracuse's Malachi Richardson all-in for NBA draft May 17
- Syracuse frosh Malachi Richardson to enter name in NBA draft Apr 18
- Syracuse reserve center Chinonso Obokoh transferring Apr 7
- Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph transferring Apr 5
- Syracuse's Boeheim scoffs at idea that it was rough season Apr 3
- Correction: Final Four-Syracuse story Apr 3
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Syracuse rides improbable run to Final Four Mar 28
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Judge tosses suit by ex-Syracuse coach's wife against ESPN Mar 26
- Gonzaga taking on Syracuse's vaunted zone in Sweet 16 Mar 25