Mississippi State upsets Arizona at MSGNov 19, 2011 - 5:42 AM New York, NY (Sports Network) - Arnett Moultrie scored a game-high 19 points with 10 rebounds as Mississippi State upset No. 15 Arizona, 67-57, in the championship game of the 2K Sports Classic.
It was the second ranked team in as many nights to fall to the Bulldogs (4-1), who beat 19th-ranked Texas A&M on Thursday.
"We're just playing together and everybody wants to win," Mississippi State guard Dee Bost said. "That's the only thing that's on our mind."
Solomon Hill paced Arizona (4-1) with 12 points, while Jesse Perry added a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds.
Mississippi State opened the game with a 7-0 run through the first two minutes of action and never trailed throughout the game.
The Bulldogs' lead stretched to as much as 10 in the opening half before a 12-2 run by Arizona that included three-pointers from Nick Johnson and Perry, which knotted the game at 23 with 9:26 to go.
But Mississippi State responded with a pair of field goals by Rodney Hood and took a 35-34 lead into halftime.
After a Jordin Mayes three-pointer brought the Wildcats within 42-41 early in the second half, the Bulldogs scored 10 of the next 14 points as Arizona struggled from the floor to take a seven-point lead with 10:08 to go in regulation.
Arizona rallied again to make it a one-point game with 6 1/2 minutes to go, but the Bulldogs outscored Arizona 13-4 down the stretch to earn their third straight win.
"They had the tempo right were they wanted it," Arizona head coach Sean Miller said about Mississippi State. "I thought we played a much better first half but we didn't answer the bell in the second half."
The teams have split four overall meetings with each other...Mississippi State shot 44.8 percent from the floor, while Arizona made 39.7 percent of its shots...Hood was the second-highest scorer for the Bulldogs with nine points.
- ARIZONA: 57
MISSISSIPPI STATE: 67
Nov 18 8:58 PM
- ARIZONA: 34
MISSISSIPPI STATE: 35
Nov 18 7:49 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
MISSISSIPPI STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 18 7:04 PM
- Pitts transferring from Arizona May 17
- Arizona guard Allonzo Trier returning for sophomore season Apr 4
- Arizona's Justin Simon transferring after 1 season Mar 28
- Mississippi St G Newman opts for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 22
- Arizona falters against Wichita State, loses 65-55 Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Arizona coach Sean Miller fed up with court storming Feb 25
- Trier misses 3 at buzzer, No. 9 Arizona falls to Colorado Feb 25
- Weatherspoon leading Mississippi State's resurgence Feb 23
- Arizona's Miller rips into team after loss to No. 23 Oregon Jan 29
- Mississippi State still trying to turn corner under Howland Jan 15
- Freshman Trier to miss up to 6 weeks for No. 7 Arizona Jan 10