No. 16 Alabama takes down Wichita StateNov 19, 2011 - 5:20 AM San Juan, PR (Sports Network) - Tony Mitchell scored 26 points while JaMychal Green had a double-double with 15 points and 12 rebounds as the No. 16 Alabama Crimson Tide defeated the Wichita State Shockers, 70-60, in the semifinals of the Puerto Rico Tip-Off.
Trevor Releford chipped in 15 points for the Crimson Tide (4-0), who will clash with Purdue -- who defeated Temple earlier Friday -- in the Championship Game on Sunday.
Toure' Murry netted 21 points for the Shockers (2-1), who will play Temple in the third-place game on Sunday.
Mitchell netted 10 of his team's first 14 points -- including two highlight- reel dunks -- as the Crimson Tide took a 14-8 lead eight minutes in.
Releford made a pair from the line in the final minute to give Alabama a 31-28 advantage at the break.
After Joe Ragland nailed a trey to give Wichita State a 37-35 lead, the Crimson Tide went on a 12-2 spurt to take a 47-39 advantage with just over 12 minutes remaining in regulation.
The Shockers never got closer than five as Alabama rolled the rest of the way.
Alabama's interior defense blocked 14 shots and held the Shockers to just 34 percent shooting.
Alabama shot 43 percent from the field but connected on just 1-of-8 from beyond the arc...The contest was a rematch of last year's NIT Championship Game in which Wichita State won, 66-57.
- ALABAMA: 70
WICHITA STATE: 60
Nov 18 11:18 PM
- ALABAMA: 31
WICHITA STATE: 28
Nov 18 10:01 PM
- ALABAMA: 0
WICHITA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 18 9:08 PM
- Alabama signs Ohio State transfer Daniel Giddens May 17
- Alabama signs graduate transfer guard from Morehead State May 2
- Alabama hires John Pelphrey as associate head coach Apr 13
- Alabama players Coleman, Kessens leaving program Mar 30
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Johnson taking the long view after first season at Alabama Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- Obasohan helps lead Alabama into NCAA tourney contention Feb 18
- Johnson, Bama's tough run starts with No. 15 Texas A&M Feb 9
- No. 22 Wichita St uses balanced scoring to top Loyola 80-54 Jan 28
- New Mexico State, Wichita State to play makeup game Feb. 15 Jan 18