No. 18 Vanderbilt edges Oregon StateNov 22, 2011 - 5:27 AM East Rutherford, NJ (Sports Network) - Brad Tinsley's late jumper gave No. 18 Vanderbilt a 64-62 victory over Oregon State in the title game of the Legends Classic.
John Jenkins had 14 points to pace the Commodores (4-1), who have won three in a row. Jeffery Taylor donated 13 points and eight rebounds.
"For teams to be good, they need their best players to play well," Tinsley said. "I thought they did that this tournament."
Devon Collier ended with 19 points for the Beavers (4-1) while Ahmad Starks had 16 points and four steals.
Taylor grabbed an offensive rebound and put in a layup with 1:43 to play for a 62-60 Vanderbilt lead.
Eric Moreland missed a pair of free throws at the other end, but Vanderbilt's Lance Goulbourne turned the ball over. Starks' jumper with 33 seconds left made it a 62-62 contest.
Tinsley then hit the game-winning jumper with 4.5 ticks remaining. Jared Cunningham, who was held to nine points, missed a shot as time expired.
"My team did a terrific job," Oregon State head coach Craig Robinson said. "I know a lot of you guys are surprised, but I'm not."
Following a 31-31 tie at the half, the Commodores scored the first eight points of the second half.
Vanderbilt maintained that margin for the first ten minutes of the second stanza. Oregon State put together a 6-0 flurry to get within 52-50 with 8 1/2 minutes to play.
The Beavers hung around and tied the game at 60-60 on Joe Burton's layup with 2:13 remaining.
Monday's game was the first-ever meeting between Vanderbilt and Oregon State on the hardwood...Oregon State had scored 80 or more points in each of its first four games.
- VANDERBILT: 64
OREGON STATE: 62
Nov 21 10:51 PM
- VANDERBILT: 31
OREGON STATE: 31
Nov 21 9:47 PM
- VANDERBILT: 3
OREGON STATE: 2
1st Half - 17:38
Nov 21 9:09 PM
- New Vanderbilt coach Bryce Drew announces his staff Apr 26
- Vanderbilt junior center Damian Jones entering NBA Draft Apr 14
- Bryce Drew wants to be 1st to take Vanderbilt to Final 4 Apr 6
- Vandy sophomore guard Wade Baldwin IV entering NBA draft Apr 5
- Vanderbilt using Fogler, not search firm to find new coach Mar 28
- Stallings gone, Vanderbilt to start search for new coach Mar 27
- Beavers bummed about early exit, but excited for the future Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- After 17 seasons, Stallings' future at Vanderbilt in doubt Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- Vandy fined $100,000 for storming court after Kentucky game Feb 29
- Pac-12 says end of Washington-Oregon State handled properly Feb 25