Harvard takes down No. 22 Florida StateNov 26, 2011 - 3:16 AM Paradise Island, Bahamas (Sports Network) - Oliver McNally scored seven points and grabbed six rebounds, as Harvard downed No. 22 Florida State, 46-41, in the semifinals of the Battle 4 Atlantis.
The Crimson (5-0), who will meet UCF in Saturday's championship game, outrebounded FSU 40-30 and held a 17-4 advantage in made free throws.
"We are very happy to be competing for the championship title this time of the year," said Harvard coach Tommy Amaker.
The Seminoles (5-1) were led by Michael Snaer's 10 points.
They became the second ranked team to fall on Paradise Island Friday, as UCF took down No. 4 Connecticut to end the defending national champion's 16-game win streak.
The Crimson, who advanced to the semis with a 75-47 win over Utah on Thursday, led 7-0 to start. In fact, Florida State didn't score until Terrance Shannon made a layup with 8:49 left in the first half.
The Seminoles clawed back, however, taking a 14-11 lead on Deividas Dulkys' dunk with 3:36 remaining.
But Christian Webster hit a corner trey before the break for a 14-14 tie, as the team's matched an NCAA record for lowest combined point total in a half.
"I don't think I have ever seen a game like that," said Amaker.
The sluggish play continued after intermission, as Wesley Saunder's dunk gave the Crimson a 21-16 lead with just under 13 minutes remaining.
Midway through the half, Snaer's breakaway layup off of a Kyle Casey turnover gave the Seminoles a 24-23 lead.
Harvard, though, reeled off an 8-0 run to grab an advantage it would not relinquish.
Keith Wright sparked the run with an emphatic three-point play, dunking over a planted defender and sinking the subsequent free throw.
In all, Florida State shot 36.6 percent from the floor, compared to just 27.3 percent for Harvard.
This was the first-ever meeting between the school's men's basketball programs...Ole Miss and South Carolina also combined to score 28 points in a half in 2003...The Seminoles are 0-3 all-time versus the Ivy League.
- FLORIDA STATE: 41
Nov 25 6:34 PM
- FLORIDA STATE: 14
Nov 25 5:22 PM
- FLORIDA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 25 4:35 PM
- Florida State guard Rathan-Mayes returning for junior season May 2
- Junior college guard Angola-Rodas to attend Florida State Apr 20
- Mutombo's nephew signs to play basketball at Florida State Apr 13
- Florida State's Rathan-Mayes to enter NBA draft Apr 5
- Florida State's Bacon withdraws from NBA draft consideration Mar 28
- Florida State's Beasley focuses on training for NBA draft Mar 24
- Florida State's Bacon to submit name for NBA draft Mar 23
- Florida State hope lessons learned will pay off next season Mar 18
- FSU's Beacon and Beasley focused on NIT, not NBA Mar 14
- Florida State senior Devon Bookert emerges as team leader Mar 4
- Hamilton, Florida State looks to snap 5-game losing streak Feb 26
- Leonard Hamilton gets 2-year extension at Florida State Feb 24