Wisconsin downs BYU for Chicago Invitational titleNov 27, 2011 - 8:43 AM Hoffman Estates, IL (Sports Network) - Ben Brust had a game-high 21 points, Jordan Taylor scored 18 to go along with eight assists and the 11th-ranked Wisconsin Badgers posted a 73-56 victory over BYU in the championship game of the Chicago Invitational Challenge.
Jared Berggren and Mike Bruesewitz produced 13 points apiece for Wisconsin (6-0), which shot 54 percent (13-of-24) from three-point range.
"I think that what we did expect was for Wisconsin to shoot the ball well since that is what they have done well," BYU head coach Dave Rose said. "They are an extremely patient team and have five shooters on the floor at all times."
Noah Hartsock finished with 18 points, six rebounds and four blocks for the Cougars (4-2).
The Badgers jumped out to a 22-10 lead, but BYU countered with an 20-4 run to go up by four on a Stephen Rogers layup with 3:42 left in the first half.
Wisconsin responded by scoring eight straight points and went into the break with a 34-32 advantage.
It remained a close contest early in the second half as the teams were locked at 42-42 with 13:38 to play. But Brust nailed one of his seven three-pointers to ignite a game-sealing 28-6 surge. Taylor hit a shot from down low to make it 70-48 with 2:31 left.
Brust was 7-of-10 from beyond the arc...BYU shot 36 percent from the floor in the second half...These teams met for just the second time and first since 1931...Brandon Davies and Damarcus Harrison both had nine points for BYU.
- WISCONSIN: 73
Nov 26 9:57 PM
- WISCONSIN: 34
Nov 26 8:52 PM
- WISCONSIN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 26 8:09 PM
- Wisconsin's Hayes to enter NBA draft, won't sign with agent Apr 20
- Lamont Paris promoted to associate head coach at Wisconsin Apr 12
- Wisconsin's Nigel Hayes to get feedback on draft prospects Apr 5
- Former Badgers player Joe Krabbenhoft back as assistant Apr 4
- Longtime Wisconsin assistant Gary Close leaves Badgers Mar 30
- Steadied under Greg Gard, Wisconsin can build on experience Mar 26
- Notre Dame advances to Elite 8 with 61-56 win over Badgers Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Stuck in slump, Wisconsin's Hayes contributes in other ways Mar 22
- Badgers, Musketeers preparing for physical NCAA clash Mar 19
- New-look Badgers back in NCAA Tournament against Pittsburgh Mar 17
- Native sons Chryst, Gard lead Wisconsin's visible programs Mar 14