New Mexico State claims WAC titleMar 11, 2012 - 7:42 AM Las Vegas, NV (Sports Network) - Wendell McKines poured in 27 points to go along with 14 rebounds as New Mexico State routed Louisiana Tech, 82-57, to take the Western Athletic Conference Tournament crown.
Daniel Mullings and Tyrone Watson added 12 points apiece for the Aggies (26-9), who earned their third WAC title since joining the conference in 2005-06.
Trevor Gaskins netted 24 points to pace Louisiana Tech (18-16), which also received 15 points from Raheem Appleby as the Bulldogs dropped their first- ever championship appearance.
New Mexico State controlled the game from the start, opening the contest with a 10-2 run and never looked back.
The lead stretched to as much as 20 when McKines' tip-in capped a 12-2 run to put the Aggies ahead, 36-16, within the final two minutes of the first half and Louisiana Tech trailed by a mark of 38-20 at the break.
After Romario Souza opened the second half with a layup, New Mexico State reeled off a 19-4 swing that included seven-plus minutes without the Bulldogs recording a field goal to run out to a 57-26 lead and put any hope of a comeback to rest.
The Aggies shot 55.9 percent in the game while holding Louisiana State to a 32.8 percent shooting performance, including a 3-for-18 mark from beyond the arc.
New Mexico State held a 46-27 advantage on the glass...Watson added seven rebounds and four assists...Besides Gaskins and Appleby, no one on Louisiana Tech scored more than four points.
- New Mexico State's Weir adds Henson as an Aggie adviser May 11
- New Mexico State, Wichita State to play makeup game Feb. 15 Jan 18
- New Mexico State pulls in OT, beats Robert Morris 81-71 Nov 25
- Kansas gives Big 12 a lift with rout of New Mexico State Mar 20
- New Mexico State seeks upset of Kansas Mar 20
- New Mexico State cruises past Seattle to win WAC Mar 15
- Aggies go for fourth straight WAC title against Seattle Mar 14
- Colorado State holds off upset-minded New Mexico State Dec 27
- Aggies entertain undefeated Rams Dec 27
- Wichita State rolls past New Mexico State Nov 15
- Aggies open season at 11th-ranked Shockers Nov 14
- San Diego St. survives New Mexico St. in OT Mar 21