Florida routs Norfolk StateMar 19, 2012 - 1:27 AM Omaha, NE (Sports Network) - Kenny Boynton led the way with 20 points, eight rebounds and four assists as Florida routed Norfolk State, 84-50, in the West Region.
Erving Walker poured in 15 points, Bradley Beal contributed 14 points with nine boards and Erik Murphy had 10 and eight, respectively, for the Gators (25-10). Mike Rosario rounded out the double-digit scorers with 12 points.
Florida will battle No. 3 seed Marquette for a spot in the Elite Eight.
Marcos Tamares paced the Spartans (26-10) with 12 points. Kyle O'Quinn, who sparked Norfolk State to its stunning triumph over Missouri on Friday, donated just four points after being heavily guarded and picking up two fouls early in the game. He finished with four fouls.
"They played good defense, we played bad offense. Every time we had a break they would kill us with a three," said O'Quinn. "It was tough all around for us tonight."
Norfolk State took an early 6-4 lead before Florida erupted for 25 straight points. Beal netted seven points while Boynton and Murphy scored six apiece during the stretch.
"Once we went on the 25-0 run, they kind of shutdown from there on," said Beal. "Because we knew they were capable of making threes, and we didn't want them to keep the game close and get back into the game so we did a great job of putting the peddle to the metal and knocking down shots and playing good defense."
The Gators posted a 53.3 percent field-goal shooting mark in the first half, including making 7-of-16 from beyond the arc, while holding the Spartans to 25.8 percent from the floor and 16.7 percent on three-point attempts en route to a commanding 47-19 halftime advantage.
After trailing by as many as 32 early in the second half, Norfolk State got back to within 25 points at 59-34 midway through the frame, but Florida scored 10 of the next 14 and the Spartans got no closer.
A technical foul was charged to Boynton with 12:38 remaining in the second half...Florida led by as many as 36...The Gators finished shooting 52.8 percent (28-of-53) from the field. The Spartans shot 27.3 percent (18-of-66).
- NORFOLK STATE: 50
Mar 18 8:17 PM
- NORFOLK STATE: 19
Mar 18 7:01 PM
- NORFOLK STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 18 6:11 PM
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- Florida's Egbunu uncertain to play against UNF in NIT Mar 14
- Florida C Egbunu tears thumb ligament before SEC Tournament Mar 9
- Florida trying to rebuild NCAA resume at SEC Tournament Mar 7
- February freefall leaves Florida in need of Kentucky win Feb 29
- With road stretch looming, Florida needs to win at home Feb 8
- Florida likely without starter Justin Leon vs No. 9 WVU Jan 29
- Florida takes pressure off Finney-Smith to be more vocal Jan 18