VCU pulls away late to down RichmondMar 7, 2013 - 4:37 AM Richmond, VA (Sports Network) - Treveon Graham scored 21 points on 8-of-11 shooting, as the 21st-ranked VCU Rams pulled away late to beat the visiting Richmond Spiders, 93-82.
Juvonte Reddic had 16 points and nine rebounds for the Rams (24-6, 12-3 A-10), who moved into a first-place tie atop the Atlantic 10 standings.
VCU entered play one game behind Saint Louis, which lost to Xavier in overtime later on Wednesday.
Cedrick Lindsay totaled 22 points for Richmond (17-13, 7-8), which beat VCU in overtime back in January.
The Spiders were poised to knock off their crosstown rival again, with a Terry Allen 3-pointer tying the game at 79-79 with 3:13 remaining. But a Graham layup ignited a game-sealing 11-0 run.
A back-and-forth first half ended with VCU holding a 43-41 lead.
Darius Theus had 13 points for the Rams, who shot 63.6 percent in the second half ... VCU scored 22 points off 15 Richmond turnovers ... The game featured 10 lead changes ... Allen posted 13 points and 10 rebounds ... Richmond has lost seven straight at the Siegel Center ... This marked the first time VCU and Richmond met twice in a season since 2000-01, when both were CAA members.
- RICHMOND: 82
Mar 6 10:14 PM
- RICHMOND: 41
Mar 6 9:00 PM
- RICHMOND: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 6 8:12 PM
- Things looking more normal for Wade in Year 2 at VCU May 13
- VCU announces sophomore F Michael Gilmore is transferring May 3
- VCU restructures, extends contract of men's hoops coach Wade Mar 29
- Oklahoma faces another dangerous double-digit seed in VCU Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- VCU hoping to find winning formula again in NCAA Tournament Mar 16
- Richmond reserve Wood to miss 2nd game with concussion Mar 10
- VCU seeking another shot at A10 Tournament championship Mar 9
- Passing fancy: Nancy Lieberman's son also an adept passer Feb 23
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak Feb 5
- VCU coach Will Wade says surging Rams can't get complacent Jan 21
- Broken finger likely to sideline VCU's Burgess 'a few weeks' Jan 11