Saint Joseph's shuts down Notre Dame late, wins in OTNov 17, 2012 - 5:59 AM Brooklyn, NY (Sports Network) - Ronald Roberts, Jr. scored 21 points and pulled down 16 rebounds as the Saint Joseph's Hawks took a 79-70 overtime win over No. 20 Notre Dame in the semifinals of the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic.
Chris Wilson posted 19 points and Halil Kanacevic added 15 points, eight rebounds and six assists for the Hawks (2-0), who will play Florida State in the final on Saturday.
Langston Galloway had a tooth knocked out in second half, but returned to play and hit the layup that sent the game to overtime. He finished with 13 points in the win.
Jack Cooley had 14 points and 14 rebounds for the Irish (2-1), who got 13 points from Scott Martin in the loss.
Galloway had left with his team down by six points, but he came back and, after Roberts slammed home a ball, made two free throws with 3:12 to play.
A Notre Dame turnover saw Chris Wilson turn that into a jumper for a two-point game at 66-64.
Jerian Grant then missed at the other end, but Notre Dame grabbed the offensive board. Grant, though, again was off as he missed a 3-pointer and Galloway drove for a layup and a tie game with 1:41 to play.
Both teams had their chances with Notre Dame having the last, but Eric Atkins missed a layup and Cooley missed on a tip-in to send the game to overtime.
Saint Joseph's got the first five points of overtime on five free throws from Roberts, with the final two coming with 1:25 to play for a 71-66 lead.
Atkins followed with a jumper for the first points of the frame for the Irish, but Roberts then made in a layup and, following a Grant layup, Wilson hit two free throws with 21 seconds to play to ice the game.
Notre Dame had scored the first eight points of the game, but Saint Joseph's rallied back to take the lead and eventually took a 37-36 advantage into the locker room.
The Irish led for much of the second half and held a 63-55 advantage with 5 1/2 minutes to play after a 3-point play from Grant.
Notre Dame next plays on Wednesday at home against George Washington ... The only other meeting between these schools came in December of 1992 when the Irish took a 68-65 win ... The Hawks made 46.6 percent of their shots while Notre Dame hit just 39.1 percent.
- NOTRE DAME: 70
ST. JOSEPH'S: 79
Final - OT
Nov 17 12:01 AM
- NOTRE DAME: 66
ST. JOSEPH'S: 66
End of Regulation
Nov 16 11:41 PM
- NOTRE DAME: 36
ST. JOSEPH'S: 37
Nov 16 10:33 PM
- NOTRE DAME: 0
ST. JOSEPH'S: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 16 9:52 PM
- Beachem says he'll be back at Notre Dame for senior season May 1
- Notre Dame's Beachem enters NBA draft, won't hire an agent Apr 12
- Jackson: Meeting with Brey, NCAA play led him to opt for NBA Mar 30
- Notre Dame's Jackson decides to enter NBA draft Mar 29
- Brey: Notre Dame's Jackson has to explore entering NBA draft Mar 28
- Notre Dame can't find one last run to beat North Carolina Mar 28
- North Carolina and Notre Dame know each other well Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Notre Dame finally finding March success under Brey Mar 23
- ND's Auguste at best in March, shooting 86 percent in NCAAs Mar 22
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Doing it all: Versatile Walkup, Stephen F. Austin face Irish Mar 19