McDermott, Creighton crush Saint Joseph'sDec 2, 2012 - 3:47 AM
McDermott netted 18 of his 23 points in the first half and No. 11 Creighton redeemed itself following Wednesday's home loss to Boise State with an 80-51 thrashing of the Hawks.
"We didn't get too down on ourselves," McDermott said of the Boise State defeat. "We knew a good team like Saint Joseph's was coming in here and we had to be ready. We sent the nation a statement by what we did, and we've got to continue that kind of play."
The junior forward McDermott, who had the only scoreless game of his career against St. Joe's on Dec. 11, 2010, was 7-of-12 from the field and nailed 5- of-7 attempts from beyond the arc for Creighton (7-1), which had its 41-game home winning streak against unranked non-conference teams snapped on Wednesday.
"He was a star," St. Joe's head coach Phil Marteli said of McDermott. "He had a look about him early on, and because he plays with so much emotion and is so aggressive, he attracts all your attention. The other guys play so well off it."
Langston Galloway tallied 10 points for the Hawks (4-2), who had won four of their first five contests to begin the year.
Led by McDermott, the Bluejays jumped all over St. Joe's right from the opening tip.
McDermott sunk four 3-pointers and poured in his 18 first-half points over the first 11-plus minutes of the game as Creighton jumped out to a 39-10 advantage with 6:16 to play in the half.
Creighton took a 47-20 edge into the locker room and led by as many as 34 over the final 20 minutes.
Creighton avenged an 80-71 defeat to the Hawks in Philadelphia last December, and have won five of the last six meetings ... McDermott tallied 26 points and 10 rebounds in that setback against a fellow Jesuit program ... The Bluejays shot 56.6 percent (30-of-53) from the floor and 47.6 percent (10-of-21) from beyond the arc ... The Hawks turned the ball over 17 times ... Carl Jones had nine points for St. Joe's.
- ST. JOSEPH'S: 51
Dec 1 4:55 PM
- ST. JOSEPH'S: 20
Dec 1 3:52 PM
- ST. JOSEPH'S: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 1 3:08 PM
- Creighton's Maurice Watson Jr. says he's returning to school May 6
- Starter in 2014-15, Orange's Kaleb Joseph heads to Creighton Apr 18
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Saint Joseph's and Cincinnati to play in 1st round of NCAAs Mar 17
- Saint Joseph's flying high as Atlantic 10 contenders Feb 19
- Creighton's Maurice Watson continues to prove doubters wrong Feb 10
- Saint Joseph's rolls to 75-60 win over Penn Jan 20
- Creighton hoping transfers Watson, Huff can spark turnaround Oct 21
- Georgetown fends off Creighton in Big East quarters Mar 13
- Big East tourney action pits Bluejays against Hoyas Mar 12
- Arcidiacono, Villanova tops Creighton Mar 3
- Creighton seeks upset of No. 4 Villanova Mar 3