No. 22 VCU survives St. Joseph's in OT thrillerJan 18, 2013 - 5:36 AM Richmond, VA (Sports Network) - Treveon Graham posted 25 points and seven rebounds to help No. 22 VCU take a hard-fought 92-86 win in overtime against Saint Joseph's on Thursday.
Darius Theus scored 22 points with 10 assists, while Juvonte Reddic added 15 points and 17 rebounds for the Rams (15-3, 3-0 A-10), who are riding a 12-game winning streak. Rob Brandenberg scored 12 points in the win.
Langston Galloway had 22 points, Carl Jones added 21 with six rebounds and five assists, while C.J. Aiken scored 15 points with nine boards for the Hawks (9-6, 1-2), who have dropped two of their last three. Ronald Roberts Jr. gave 14 points and 12 boards in defeat.
Theus had tied the game on a layup with 6.8 seconds to play in the second half then assured overtime with a steal off of Jones.
The Rams came out hot in the extra session as Reddic had a dunk and Graham followed with a 3-pointer and a free throw for a six-point lead 1 1/2 minutes in.
Galloway countered with a jumper, but Briante Weber and Graham answered with baskets of their own, and it was an eight-point lead for the Rams with two minutes to play.
Roberts hit 1-of-2 from the line with 35 seconds left, and Graham missed both his free throws, but Chris Wilson turned the ball over and Theus sealed the win with a pair of free throws.
A 7-0 run by the Rams in the first half saw the team hold a 12-point lead after Brandenberg put in a free throw for a 26-14 advantage with nine minutes to play, but the Hawks were able to cut into their deficit and trailed by six, 38-32, at the break.
VCU again held a double-digit lead five minutes into the second half after a Brandenburg free throw made it a 51-41 game, but Saint Joseph's answered with a 14-5 run to get back into the contest.
An Aiken dunk and Jones 3-pointer gave the Hawks a 76-74 lead with 1 1/2 minutes left, but they were unable to hold onto the advantage.
VCU plays at Duquesne on Saturday ... Saint Joseph's hosts Penn on Saturday ... This was the first meeting between these two schools since 1982. VCU now leads the series, 2-1 ... Saint Joseph's turned the ball over 20 times, while VCU committed just five turnovers.
- ST. JOSEPH'S: 86
Final - OT
Jan 17 11:29 PM
- ST. JOSEPH'S: 80
End of Regulation
Jan 17 11:14 PM
- ST. JOSEPH'S: 32
Jan 17 9:58 PM
- ST. JOSEPH'S: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 17 9:13 PM
- Things looking more normal for Wade in Year 2 at VCU May 13
- VCU announces sophomore F Michael Gilmore is transferring May 3
- VCU restructures, extends contract of men's hoops coach Wade Mar 29
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Oklahoma faces another dangerous double-digit seed in VCU Mar 19
- Saint Joseph's and Cincinnati to play in 1st round of NCAAs Mar 17
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- VCU hoping to find winning formula again in NCAA Tournament Mar 16
- VCU seeking another shot at A10 Tournament championship Mar 9
- Saint Joseph's flying high as Atlantic 10 contenders Feb 19
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak Feb 5
- VCU coach Will Wade says surging Rams can't get complacent Jan 21